June 7-11 (Online registration closes June 3. Call 303-492-7188 to register after this date.)
Drop-Off Location: Jennie Smoly Caruthers Biotechnology Building
This one-week class is perfect for students who are excited about biological sciences and want to learn about potential meaningful career paths outside of clinical medical sciences. The instructor for this course is a current postdoctoral researcher with experience in biomaterials design for improving cardiac health, so many of the lessons will focus on bioengineering and biomedicine. Over the course of the week, students will be exposed to the scientific process, data interpretation, polymers and biomaterial design, and career options.
Learning objectives for the week include:
- Experience the scientific process in real life: design an experiment around a hypothesis, collect data, and interpret results
- Explore the uses of polymers, biomaterials, and tissue engineering in clinical and research applications
- Get an introduction to cellular virology and what we can learn from infection
- Practice key tips for communicating science to general audiences
- Learn about a variety of careers paths in biological sciences from professionals in the field
Masks are required to be worn for all in-person programs. All participants will receive a short health screening and a thermal temperature check upon arrival to the check-in area for each class gathering.
What to Bring: Because this is an in-person class, participants are required to bring the following to each class:
- Backpack for carrying their personal items and any class materials they will be taking home. Note: In order to limit individual interactions, all participants will be required to keep their items together.
- A mask appropriately sized to cover the child's nose and mouth and any additional Personal Protective Equipment the child will be utilizing. Note: Wearing of masks will be required for all participants.
- Filled water bottle.
- 1-2 snacks, depending on the child's needs.
- All programs spend a portion of each day outside. Please send your child with clothing appropriate for the weather (jacket, sweatshirt and/or rain jacket.).
Grade Policy: Careful consideration is used to determine grade levels for all camps and classes. To provide the highest quality experience for all students, it is necessary to adhere to the specified grade range for this program.
Cancellation and Transfer Policy: Cancellations made more than 15 business days prior to the start of the program will incur a $35 administrative fee. No refunds will be given for cancellations made within 15 business days of the start of the program. In the event that a program is cancelled by Science Discovery, registrants will receive a full refund. Transfer requests made up to 15 days prior to the start of the program will incur a $15 administrative fee. Transfer requests made within 15 business days will incur a $35 administrative fee.