May 31-June 3; Note: This is a 4-day week.; 9am-1pm (Online registration closes May 26 at 5pm. Call 303-492-7188 to register after this date.)
July 5-8; Note: This is a 4-day week.; 9am-1pm (Online registration closes June 24. Call 303-492-7188 to register after this date.)
- Tuesday: Bluestem Trail (Parking at South Boulder Creek Trailhead)
- Wednesday: Bluebell Trail (Parking on Kinnikinnick Road)
- Thursday: Shanahan Ridge Trailhead (Parking on Lehigh Street)
- Friday: Skunk Canyon Trail (Parking on Vassar Drive)
In this camp, we'll be going on daily hikes throughout the Boulder area, ranging from 2-4 hours in length. We're going to learn about and develop essential skills for staying safe in emergency situations in the backcountry. We'll become well-versed in basic map and compass knowledge, as well as how to identify local plant and animal species. During our hikes, we'll learn about the forest ecosystem surrounding Boulder, and will utilize our senses and field observation skills.
In accordance with updated guidance from the CDC around COVID-19 transmission prevention, CU Science Discovery encourages, but does not require student participants and staff to wear masks throughout all programs. While this is the current policy of CU Science Discovery, we will continue to monitor the situation and make the best possible decisions in the interest of safety for participants and staff. When considering policy changes around COVID-19 transmission prevention, CU Science Discovery will adhere to all campus, county and Public Health guidelines. (Updated 3/7/22)
What to Bring: Because this is an outdoor camp, participants are required to bring the following each day:
- Backpack for carrying their personal items and camp materials. Note: In order to limit individual interactions, all participants will be required to carry their own items.
- Filled water bottle.
- 1-2 snacks, depending on the child's needs.
- Appropriate footwear for exploring the outdoors.
- Clothing appropriate for the weather; jacket, sweatshirt and/or rain jacket recommended in case of weather change.
- Optional: A mask and any additional Personal Protective Equipment the child will be utilizing.
Grade Policy: Careful consideration is used to determine grade levels for all camps and classes. To provide the highest quality experience for all participants, it is necessary to adhere to the specified grade range for this program.
Cancellation and Transfer Policy: Cancellations made more than 15 business days prior to the start of the program will incur a $35 administrative fee. No refunds will be given for cancellations made within 15 business days of the start of the program. In the event that a program is cancelled by Science Discovery, registrants will receive a full refund. Transfer requests made up to 15 days prior to the start of the program will incur a $15 administrative fee. Transfer requests made within 15 business days will incur a $35 administrative fee.