Students selecting the thesis option are required to take RLST 6950. Each student will have an advisor, who helps the student create a three-person thesis committee, usually faculty in whose courses the student has been or who have participated in a student’s professional development.
RLST 6950, MA Thesis (6 credit hours over 2 semesters), to be made up of:
- First semester of thesis (3 credit hours) to result in a thesis prospectus defense with the thesis committee
- Second semester of thesis (3 credit hours) to result in the thesis defense itself
- The thesis is expected to be between 50 and 125 pages
- Thesis students will produce streamlined portfolios as well that can be defended either with the prospectus or with the final thesis. This will include:
- an intellectual biography
- syllabus, cover letter
- conference paper/colloquium presentation
All MA students will be expected to attend at least three colloquia over the course of their careers and to present at least once.
For a detailed list of past M.A. theses completed by students in the department, please see the RLST Thesis Titles 1986-2016 list.