Working with students, or others, from Iran poses extra issues because of Iran’s status as an embargoed country. This guidance is intended to address common questions about working with students or others of Iranian citizenship. Because of the complexities, we encourage you to contact the Export Controls administrators at if you have any questions.

Are there restrictions on Iranians studying in the US?

Like all international students, Iranian students must receive a visa in order to study at CU. Currently, students planning to study for a career in the energy sector, nuclear science, nuclear energy, aerospace engineering, or a related field are likely to be denied a visa by the Department of State.

If a student from Iran receives a student visa, he or she generally may enroll in any courses offered by CU. In some very limited cases, foreign students may be restricted from certain activities or sections of a course that would expose the students to technology or technical data that are restricted by US export control laws.

Iranian students may also be prohibited from working on some research projects that involve export-controlled technology or technical data, especially where the research is not clearly within scope of the subject area identified in thier visa. Contact whenever international students are involved in research to be certain that a license is not required.

Can I work with former students or others who are living in Iran?

If the research involves scientific or engineering subject matter, there are significant limitations on working with Iranian collaborators and licenses are difficult to obtain. Check with the Office of Export Controls prior to any preliminary discussions. In some cases, a license can be obtained to allow the research to proceed.

There are also a few "exemptions" that might allow certain collaborations. For example, there is an exemption that authorizes US Persons to engage in any transactions “necessary and ordinarily incident to the publishing and marketing of manuscripts, books, journals, and newspapers in paper or electronic form.” Any use of an exemption must be approved and documented by the Office of Export Controls.

For more background and context, please refer to: