A student must submit a request to review his or her education records in writing to the registrar, dean, chairperson of an academic department, or other official who maintains the records he or she wishes to inspect. The request should identify, to the extent possible, the specific records the student desires to review by type, topic, date or other criteria.

The university official who has custody of the records will assemble the requested records and review them to determine whether they are eligible for access.

If an education record includes information about more than one student, the student may review only his or her own information in that record. In this situation, the record custodian must redact the record before allowing the student to review it. Contact the Office of the Registrar with questions.

Before denying a student access to an education record, record custodians must consult with the registrar, and should document in writing the reason for the denial. The record custodian must respond to a request for access to education records within a reasonable period of time, but not more than 45 days after the request has been submitted. If the records are not maintained by the record custodian to whom the request was submitted, the custodian should assist the student in identifying the custodian to whom the request should be addressed. For information about where certain student education records may be located, go to Guidelines for Location of Student Records.

The record custodian will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected.

If not personally known to the record custodian, the record custodian must verify the student’s identity must be verified by a photo identification or other appropriate documentation.

Amendment Requests

If a student believes information contained in his or her record(s) is inaccurate, misleading or violates privacy rights, a student may ask the university to amend the record(s). If the problem stems from a clerical or other error in processing, the student should contact the record custodian and follow the established process to affect the necessary corrections. Similarly, a student should pursue the grievance and/or appeal process if he or she has a concern about the appropriateness of a grade awarded or other academic determination. (This procedure does not apply to students who desire to challenge a grade. Students who wish to challenge a grade should follow the academic grievance policy in their school or college.)

If the desired correction of processing errors is not accomplished through standard channels, or the requested amendment is not to correct processing errors or address substantive academic decisions, the student should follow the following procedure:

  1. The record custodian will review the amendment request and any related documentation submitted by the student. The record custodian may request additional information from the student if deemed necessary to make a determination.
  2. Within a reasonable time after receipt of the written request, the record custodian will decide whether to amend the record as requested.
  3. If the record custodian grants the student's request, the custodian shall amend the education record and inform the student in writing of the action taken.
  4. If the record custodian denies the student's request, the custodian shall inform the student in writing of the decision and of his or her right to a hearing on the matter. Additional information about the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.