Published: Jan. 21, 2021 By

Who Received This Email?
We sent this email at 9:20 a.m. on Thursday, Jan. 21, 2021, to first-semester, nonresident graduate students.

Dear [first],

We hope you and your family are staying safe. In light of the challenges presented by COVID-19, we wanted to reach out to you with important reminders about petitioning for a change in residency for a future semester.

According to our records, you're currently classified as a nonresident for tuition purposes. As a graduate or law student, you may be eligible to petition for in-state residency for Spring 2022, provided you established physical presence in Colorado on or before Jan. 9, 2021, and take the necessary steps to establish legal ties by the time periods outlined below.

If your move to Colorado occurred after Jan. 9 due to COVID-19, you may want to contact to discuss your options. Otherwise, please make note of the domicile qualifying dates for future semesters.

Your Next Steps to Petition for a Spring 2022 Residency Change

If you’ve established physical presence and you’d like to petition for a change in residency for Spring 2022:

  1. Take action now to establish legal ties to Colorado. You're expected to obtain a Colorado driver's license within 120 days of your move and register your vehicle within 180 days. Make your DMV appointment now; students are reporting significant delays due to COVID-19. If you're unable to complete these tasks within the specified grace periods, provide as much detail as possible in your petition to explain the delay.
  2. Review our adult petition information, graduate student video and graduate student handout for additional requirements expected of a Colorado resident.
  3. Submit your completed petition between Oct. 1 and Dec. 17, 2021 (4:30 p.m.). Mark the final deadline on your calendar now. 

If you have individual questions about the petition process, please email the tuition classification office at

Considerations for International Students & WRGP Participants

International students with student visas (e.g., F-1, F-2, H-3, J-1, M-1, M-2) do not typically qualify for in-state tuition and should not submit a petition without first contacting the tuition classification office at

Graduate students who qualify for in-state tuition rates under the Western Regional Graduate Program (WRGP) should not make changes to their domicile and should not petition for in-state tuition. WRGP applies to select academic programs only.

Office of the Registrar | University of Colorado Boulder
303-492-6970 (option 3) |