The university is committed to student data privacy and protecting your personal (nondirectory) information. If you want to expand or limit how you and others access that information, you have a few options.
Establish Your Personal Security Passphrase
To discuss your education record with CU staff by phone, over LiveChat or in person without a photo ID, you must provide your established security passphrase
so we can confirm your identity.
To view or set your security passphrase:
- Log in to MyCUInfo.
- Click to expand the Profile and Settings menu.
- Under Account Settings, click Manage Profile and Privacy.
- In the pop-up menu, click Security Passphrase.
- If you've already set your passphrase, you'll see it in the security passphrase field near the bottom of the screen. If the field is blank, type in your passphrase and click Save.
Don't share your security passphrase with anyone. If you want someone else to be able to view or discuss your account, you must set up third-party access (see below).
Grant Third-Party Access
To allow a third party (e.g., a parent, grandparent or sponsor) to access your personal information, complete one or both of the following authorizations.
- FERPA Consent to Release: This authorization allows the university to discuss your education or financial records with a third party in person, by phone or over LiveChat. We'll confirm their identity by asking them to provide the password you established for them in the system.
- CU Guest Access: This authorization allows the third party to create an account and log in to the university record system for read-only access to the specific parts of your education record to which you've given them access.
Your education record also contains what's referred to as directory information
, including your first and last name, dates of attendance and campus email address. If you want to restrict access to that information, visit our Full Privacy
page for details.
If you have questions about your security settings, please contact the Office of the Registrar.
Office of the Registrar
University of Colorado Boulder
Boulder, CO 80309