



Recreation Board Meeting Agenda

October 30, 2018 5:30pm

Rec Lobby Meeting Room

I. Call to Order

Rafe calls meeting to order 5:38

II. Roll Call and Introductions:

Rafe Kossak, Tony Price, Ryan Cova, Hadleigh Swarts, Julia Frondoni, Darrien MacIntosh, Joshua Walters, Rex Laceby, Lee Silbert, Alex Michels, Nicole LaRocque, Dan Rummel, Maria Silva Tarango, Patty McConnell, Margie Rodgers

III. Changes/Approval of Agenda Items

Motion to approve agenda: Rex

Second: Alex

Approval: Rafe

IV. Reading & Approval of 10/16/2018 Minutes

Motion to approve: Alex

Second: Ryan

Approval: Rafe

V. Reading & Approval of 10/2/2018 Minutes

Motion: Rex

Second: Darrien

Approval of amended minutes: Rafe

VI. Public Forum (15 minutes)

None

VII. Old Business:

Patty: Last week I presented locker numbers counted by Rec staff for one week which included day use lockers with locks on them and the percentage was low. Looking to change day use lockers into rental lockers. We could convert day use lockers into rental lockers with no cost. The three bays at the east end are least used and a total of 6 large lockers would become available and 124 half lockers. We can implement a pilot study and see how rental sales are for the spring semester without putting any money into this proposal. Any questions?

Rex: Thank you. For this pilot program we can see how many students rent these lockers and to make sure we don't have staff grandfathered in. Is there a way to find how many students are not able to rent lockers?

Patty: It may be hard to find out how many students aren't getting an opportunity to rent a locker.

Rafe: Can we do a small marketing campaign to promote locker sales?

Patty: I will work with Annie on getting marketing out to the students.

Tony: This situation was brought up in SLT. How do we reduce the gap between faculty/staff and students in terms of access to large lockers? We can allow students only to have access to reserve large lockers for spring and then evaluate the outcome.

Patty: Fusion has the ability to only allow students to rent large lockers.

Darrien: Are there only certain lockers that students can reserve?

Patty: No, we allow members to renew lockers each semester which leads to staff renewing and never giving up a locker.

Darrien: Are students having problems getting lockers?

Rafe: The main problem is large lockers. If someone gets a large locker, they can renew and hold on to it as long as possible.

Alec: About 1/3 of lockers are rented by students.

Nicole: We have plenty of day use lockers, but rental lockers have been a challenge.

Patty: For this reason we are trying to make more rental lockers available to students.

Rafe: So we've sold out in the men's locker rooms?

Patty: Correct, we are sold out of all lockers in the men's locker rooms and we are down to small lockers only in the women's locker rooms.

Tony: There has been conversation about converting some lockers to large lockers. This pilot program would open up lockers in the short term and during this time staff can work on converting lockers if needed.

Rafe: Thanks for that Patty, does anyone have any opinions?

Alec: Would we vote on this?

Rafe: I believe so, it sounds like the executive staff has signed off. How many lockers would be opening up?

Patty: We would convert day use to rental lockers, 3 bays in men's and women's locker rooms. For women's we would open up 12 large lockers and men's 6 large lockers.

Rafe: What does that look like?

Patty: On the east end of the main locker rooms we would open up the last three bays.

Tony: How many additional lockers would we rent?

Patty: 124 medium lockers and 6 large lockers for men and 12 for women.

Tony: We know the large would sell out, we'll see how the medium lockers do.

Patty: Are you requesting that medium lockers be rented to any member?

Rafe: Personally, I don't think we should worry about the large lockers only. At this point is how fast will lockers sell? I believe that the evidence will show that we need to convert to more large lockers.

Patty: Keep in mind if we convert some half to large lockers we would lose overall the number of lockers available for students to rent.

Alec: I agree with Rex, I think these lockers should be for students only to rent.

Rafe: Six lockers will sell out instantly whether it's students or staff.

Rex: Best case scenario we get 124 half lockers. If we go with retrofitting and spending money and reducing lockers. Why do we need large lockers? We're going to get more money having more lockers available.

Rafe: We don't cut revenue for large lockers since the price is twice the cost of the medium. It does come down to a space issue, where lockers are available. By increasing the amount of rental lockers available we decrease the amount of day use lockers.

Tony: I think we could run the data on lockers and put together a survey specifically for lockers. I think we should have some discussion around whether we designate large lockers to students only for pilot program.

Rafe: We'll do a roll call to vote on student only pilot program.

Nicole: There's a very strong focus on student first with health and wellness. Knowing big picture and where the division is going is a priority and helpful.

[Rafe asks for roll call opinions]

Ryan: I don't think it is necessary for students to only have access.

Hadleigh: Students only.

Darrien: Students only.

Rafe: We'll move forward with students only.

Lee: I'm curious to see the outcome of the pilot program. If the students don't rent the lockers, it will fall back to the faculty and students? I think it's important for diversity with students to have faculty and staff in the same place.

Rafe: We're referring strictly to the large lockers that are available in the men's/women's locker rooms, so a total of 18 lockers only. The other 124 we could rent to students only, but I think that's unnecessary. What I'm trying to push forward is a vote as to whether this pilot program is moved forward with the 18 large lockers for students only and 124 to all other members.

Rex: I am going to push students first.

Lee: There's clearly a need for large lockers. How many and who gets them?

Rafe: How many do we turn over to large lockers and how many half lockers will we rent out?

Alec: I think the most compelling reason is the disparity as to how many faculty/staff have lockers versus how many students do.

Lee: With 2/3 faculty and staff by nature they are renting more. How many lockers do we add on to make sure the students get to rent?

Patty: First day of classes is when available lockers go on sale. We can survey those members who rent lockers at Guest Services and we'll get a sense from of what they want.

Tony: We are drafting a survey that will go out in February. We hope to get a significant portion of our membership to complete the survey and answer locker questions.

Darrien: 60% are for faculty only?

Rafe: 26% were students and 68% are faculty and staff.

Tony: Number of large lockers in men's locker room are approximately 50 total lockers.

Darrien: The ratio of students to faculty and staff is not what it should be. There's 18 students to one faculty at CU.

Rafe: We're only talking about the large lockers when we talk about those ratios.

Tony: We're also looking at the faculty and staff membership. What do we sell per semester for faculty and staff memberships?

Nan: About 400 faculty and staff memberships per year.

Tony: Faculty and staff pay 10% more than students pay in fees. We have less faculty and staff than students for members.

Lee: Has that gone up or down since the new building?

Nan: It stays the same.

Lee: We don't lose faculty and staff?

Nan: Stays the same consistently.

Rafe: There's 2 options to moving forward. Commit financial costs to creating more lockers. There's this pilot which we can move forward with right now at no cost.

Lee: You want to create more large lockers? That's why we're doing this pilot?

Rafe: Two reasons I believe the pilot is valuable. Helps give us a rough understanding of need. If the medium lockers sell out, that means we are providing something students want. It creates more revenue. It is an interim fix while we figure things out through collecting new data.

Alec: I think something that would be great is to poll members at the end of this semester and beginning of next semester when you are cleaning out lockers. Ask "would you like a larger locker" to gauge stats.

Rafe: What I hope we can do. Tally and track how many people ask for large lockers at Guest Services.

Alec: At the same time, I think expanding into day use lockers makes sense. For women they don't want small lockers. I think it's a no brainer. Do we want to vote on 2 different things? Do we want to vote on pilot program contingently while we figure out the student piece?

Rex: My motion was going to vote on the pilot program as we look down the road at other things.

Patty: I was going to add we have 424 faculty and staff memberships and 169 affiliate memberships currently

Dan: We can swap out some lockers at no cost.

Rafe: Roll call vote – show of hands for opening up 3 bays of day use lockers to become rental lockers in spring and for large lockers to be classified as student only rentals, six in men's locker room and twelve in women's. Vote passes 5-1-1. Thank you.

Nicole: Ryan why do you abstain?

Ryan: The last point [large lockers for students only].

Rafe: We will come back to this locker discussion multiple times. When we talk about the women's lockers, do they want large lockers instead of half? Exchanging those lockers into large lockers increases revenue and decreases wasted space.

Nicole: I have old business. We had Sport Clubs reception last Thursday. If you haven't seen the new banners on the upper level in the cutout along the upper gym, they look great. It was great to see Rec Board work come to fruition.

Rafe: I concur you should take a look at these banners. It's a lot of hard Rec Board work.

VIII. New Business

Patty: One facility request. Muslim Student Association is requesting on 11/24, titled MSA Showdown. Bringing students from CU Denver and DU. Using a variety of spaces, 3 lower courts, indoor turf gym and meeting rooms. Expecting 120 students total.

Margie: This event is during Fall Break.

Patty: It will be very slow in the building at this time.

Tony: For new folks – Rec Board approves major events that would displace open recreation.

Rafe: Is the event open to everyone?

Margie: It's a closed event.

Rafe: 11/24 – 1pm-8pm.

Darrien: Is it free for them to use?

Patty: They don't pay as a student group. If they were collecting fees they would receive a 75% discount.

Darrien: If there's other students coming to the event, do they get charged?

Patty: No.

Dan: It's during fall break so it's going to be very slow in the Rec.

Rafe: What are the hours?

Patty: 1-8pm.

Nicole: Darrien, I think that's a great question. It's because it's a CU student org hosting the event which is why it's free. If it was a DU student org hosting at the Rec then they would pay full price.

Rafe: Roll call on whether we should approve MSA event for lower rec courts and indoor turf. Vote passes 6-0-1. Thank you.

IX. Chair's Report

Thank you for the last meeting and for everything we did for UGGS. I feel it went well and was a lot of work. Thank you all for doing due diligence for grad students. You should check out banners if you haven't yet. I would like students to stay after today's meeting to discuss a few things. What we talked about before was a possibility of new projects and when we could push or make a change. We need to start voicing our ideas so stick around after the meeting.

X. Director's Report

I am looking at putting together a committee to review fee classifications around grad students. The working group would be Nan, Patty, Varsha to continue working in the spring around the CU governance model. We've talked about our ability to create more access and equitability for students. Ultimately, for new members your fees gets you access to the Rec and we are looking to give students who can't afford fees for associated services. Some schools allow students to get a fee waiver for things they want to participate in. Nan has set up a gift fund account. Annie is working on a campaign to get money in the gift fund account. We're looking at how faculty and staff can donate and using a crowdfunding campaign. We are not looking at students for donations, but faculty and staff as well as donors and parents. Targeting outfitters to help subsidize OP trips. Once we get \$5,000-\$10,000k in the account this fall, we'll be able to enact a fee waiver.

XI. Executive Team Reports:

Dan: Dome went up with help from temp labor. Going to be covering the outdoor pool in the next few weeks. This helps maintain the proper water temperature using the heat recovery loop. We are adding outdoor drinking fountains at Will Vill, lower rec field and business field. Lower rec will have access to anyone wanting to fill water.

Nan: I don't have specifics yet on the budget, but the budget season is coming. Has anyone gone through this process before? We're waiting for CUSG to give more specific instructions but if it goes like the past, Rec Board should be prepared to hear the first reading for capital on 11/27. As soon as I get more information I will share with Rec Board.

Rafe: We'll look and see if there are any serious problems. In Jan and Feb we'll do some late nights.

Maria: Our HR team went through a BASA review and a deep dive into our work processes. Hiring and on-boarding of student staff. We worked out mapping our processes and we'll be diving in deeper over the next few weeks to look at best practices with campus partners and to improve our processes. Trying to work on improving on-boarding processes. Our Kronos timekeeping system has been doing

small testing. Going live on 11/11 with full integration. We've been working with Housing IT and don't anticipate any bugs.

Tony: I would like to highlight we have close to 500 employees in this department. Complex organization around personnel. Really looking at how we improve our processes. Kronos is a major system, lot of cultural shifts.

Nicole: With the division, looking to better streamline alternative programs over Halloween and St Patrick's Day. We had Halloween skate, 85 people skating and 75 people pumpkin painting. We have a climb tonight. The division has been streamlining these activities. We have two nap pods at the Rec now.

Tony: Didn't see the headphones, so we have to determine whether the manufacturer missed them and whether we want to have them checked out at FitWell.

Rafe: You can plug your headphones in and there's a massager and ambient noise. Didn't realize they would be as open as they are. I think we need signs that say don't get on it if you are sweaty.

Rex: How do they check out the pods?

Nicole: I can share how they work. Denise is going to purchase privacy screens. We want privacy but not too private. Denise will be working with Annie on a marketing campaign. Working on signage, clean after use/clean before use. They are here now so we're figuring out operations and will do some programming around them.

Lee: How many?

Nicole: We have 2 and there are 2 in Health Promotions.

Tony: It's under the relaxation station. Activities around nap pods like coloring books and meditating. A lot of conversation about access and how to use them. Only students have access.

Rex: I was going to suggest we have a check out system so members have to come to someone to check out and they know it's clean.

Nicole: We will have times for you to reserve through Fusion. We are looking at having one pod that's drop in and one that is reservable. We can have Denise's staff keep an eye on it. Encourage you all to try them. Email me ideas so I can compile them for Denise so she doesn't get a ton of suggestions at one time. Only other thing to bring up is we are in the process of completing a grant application to create a fit court. From the company that creates fit spaces you see in parks. We've identified that it would go on the Rec Lawn. Sewall is a dedicated green space so we can't put anything on there. Grant program – total cost would be around \$150,000 – just for equipment. They have a \$30,000 grant and if we want to submit and move forward with this. Dan and Patty will be attending Athletic Business conference and looking at other similar equipment. We have initial approvals.

Tony: We've had discussion around racquetball spaces. Big footprint and decline in participation. We would explore a minimum of two racquetball courts for functional training since it is hugely popular. There will be conversation with designers about the cost around retrofitting spaces. We have a great mat room but after 2pm space is booked, looking at additional mat room space too. Will be looking at designs and associated costs.

Patty: Going to piggy back off Athletic Business. If you've been to other rec centers and seen other equipment you like, we are happy to look at items at the trade show. Five years since the renovation in January. Looking at new equipment to replace since turning five years old. Has anyone noticed our new addition outside (ATM)? We would like all of you to know we are making money off of it no matter how often it's used. December 1st is the start date for renewing memberships and lockers. We will be going online to renew lockers for this spring. We tried this a year ago and ran into a glitch, but has been resolved.

XII. CUSG Report:

Hadleigh: Homecoming event was successful, over 200 people attended Rec Recess at Sewall Field.

Julia: This week is elections.

XIII. Announcements:

Rafe: We have to go over and amend the bylaws. This is something we have to do as a board. I will do my best to figure out how to do that. We have to update every 2 years.

Tony: My thought process is not knowing where the governance is going for CUSG, I would hate to see a lot of work in this, so maybe we should hold off until a decision is made.

Rafe: I've gone through bylaws in multiple organizations. We should take the voting members, go through the bylaws and amend as necessary. We don't have to amend them, but we have to review the bylaws and it would take only an hour.

Rex: But with what Tony just said, why are we going to take an hour to do this if things will change?

Rafe: Just something to think about, if you are willing to stay late. My concern is if something doesn't change then we are not doing our job. Our next meeting will be our shortest meeting I believe. We've been working on a lot of things and our budget meeting will be in a few weeks.

Patty: In the past we've had a subcommittee review the bylaws.

Rafe: It doesn't have to be quorum, but we could go through and present at the next meeting.

Patty: It seems like a short time.

Nicole: How long are the bylaws?

Rafe: 14 pages.

Patty: It was a small subcommittee in the past who reviewed bylaws and after the initial review it was brought back to Rec Board.

Rafe: By laws are 6 pages. Stick around after this if you are a student.

XIV. Adjournment:

Motion to adjourn: Alex

Second: Ryan

Rafe: Meeting adjourned at 6:57pm