



Recreation Board Meeting Agenda

October 16th, 2018 5:30pm

Rec Lobby Meeting Room

I. Call to Order

5:37pm

II. Roll Call

Patty McConnell, Greg Allan, Olivia Wittenberg, Nan Lu, Lee Silbert, Varsha Rao, Joshua Walters, Brady Itkin, Alec Michels, Tony Price, Rafe Kossak, Ryan Coval, Nicole LaRocque, Margie Rodgers

Rafe:

No representation from tri-execs

- Julie is our tri-exec rep and can't vote
- Historically the tri-exec has been a voting member
- That should not have happened considered a conflict of interest in Rec by-laws, can't be a voting member
- Leg and exec representatives should be present
- No one present from CUSG
- Quorum is 5 and without tri exec that leaves 7
- Have a conversation with Joshua Nay – leg council leadership and figure out what the next step is
- Spoke to Josh twice about it. Still no CUSG rep
- Josh is responsible for assigning board members to attend meetings

III. Changes/Approval of Agenda Items

Motion: Alec

Second: Varsha

Rafe: Approved

IV. Reading & Approval of 10/2/2018 Minutes

Nan: Motion to push approval of minutes to next meeting

Second: Ryan

Rafe: Tabled until next week

V. Public Forum (15 minutes)

Brady: Elections and debate next week.

VI. Old Business

a Graduate Fees and "Status G"

Tony: I've been in communication with Jesse Niebaum, Dave Schofield and Jennifer McDuffie. Jesse attended 2 meetings about graduate student access. Rec Center defines category G. They pay their own student activity fee and rec expansion fee. Need to pay additional \$22 to get Rec Center access. There is misinformation between Bursar and Rec Center, verbal and website. Patty has talked to the Bursar and will request updates on-line.

Patty: Spoke to Emily, the Bursar and explained that the information from her office is being communicated accurately to the students, sending them to the Rec Center to pay for full membership. The Bursar's office gets inquiries via email and they reply to students with an explanation on membership status. There is currently a link on the Bursar's website directing students to information about the renovation project from 2012-2014, but a request will be made to replace this link to a link for Rec Center membership pricing.

Tony: G students are paying \$86.17 for Rec expansion and it gives those students the indication that they get full access, but when they come to the Rec they are told they must pay \$22. Currently working on improving communication at Guest Services and Bursar's office. Jesse wanted to talk about what the role of leadership (board and full time staff) is in regards to making changes to the fee. Rec Board has approval if we want to make any

changes to fees. UGGS would prefer we look at waiving the \$22 fee as a short term solution or long time solution. Wanted to see if this is something that Rec Board wants to vote on. What does Rec Board think about changing fees? I just sent out the latest response to Jesse, a couple of hours before this meeting. Any questions/comments?

Alec: What are grad students paying?

Tony: \$22

Alec: My thought, there is a disparity that we need to take care of, but I don't think a permanent solution is to waive the fee entirely. Having a different status shouldn't let you pay less and have the same access to facilities.

Varsha: This status is for students taking less than 5 credits. If you were undergrad, you are able to opt in/out.

Alec: So option to opt in/out would just be for status G?

Varsha: Not sure how it works for Continuing Ed students.

Nan: This category includes students who are taking less than or more than 5 credit hours.

Brady: We define this group as fee paying students and Buff Up the Rec was passed and included credit hour limitations. It's a legal quandary that states full paying students if you're pre-comp, but another states if you are taking less than 5 credit hours you are not fee paying. Jesse's point of view is that even though it's confusing, technically they are qualified as full fee paying students even though they don't pay \$22.

Nan: Even if they are paying \$22 less than undergrad?

Olivia: It's our view that the \$22 should be waived.

Varsha: Long term solution-work with various groups to come up with options.

Tony: Rec Board you're in agreement with UGGS to look at the equity between undergrad and grads for being able to opt in/opt out?

Olivia: Yes, we agree – we need to talk about opt in/opt out option.

Tony: They are different options. This wouldn't be a Rec Board charge in terms of policy.

Varsha: Distinction - short term vs. long term.

Olivia: Short term waive the \$22 fee this spring.

Tony: Rec Board has the authority to waive that fee. We could look at spring semester 2019. Motion would be short term and allow further discussion among stakeholders to decide on a long term decision. 700 total status G students and 168 have paid the \$22 this fall, roughly \$3,500 total paid. This total will not have a significant impact on operations.

Rafe: We are interested in knowing how the \$22 fee is affecting grad student Rec usage. What would be the change if we waive the fee this spring? Big question is...what does this mean for the Rec? If the same number of students come to the Rec despite the fee, then it's an interesting question, who is using the Rec and who is not.

Varsha: My comment is there are 700 students that could use the Rec. I don't think that it's going to drastically change the total number, but now there are 168 students who are frustrated.

Rafe: We don't know if 500 students are frustrated, but close to 200 students are paying the \$22 fee.

Brady: I'm interested in grad student sentiment. UGGS meetings discuss the use of grad students vs. undergrad students using the Rec.

Tony: During the summer term students have to pay for the Rec when they are not enrolled in summer classes. Upset students complain about having to pay for a summer membership. The Rec doesn't let them opt out of that fee during the summer. We have a number of different groups that could be upset and want to opt in/out of fees.

Rafe: Continuing Ed is less than 5 credits. Full time for undergrad is 12 credits. Grad students – full time is 6 or more credits, part

time is 5 or less credits. Should we consider these differences between populations?

Varsha: How many credits are needed for grad students to graduate?

Brady: around 30.

Varsha: There is also a pre-comp exam, which is a smaller window.

Nan: There is the master's students who will never get to D status.

Rafe: There is a larger conversation to have when we consider a student as someone who should be paying fees. Someone only taking one class or someone on campus all week. It's a complicated situation, it's not just about verbiage. It comes down to how we want to progress in the short term.

Tony: For UGGS, what would be your recommendation for the short term?

Varsha: If we waive the fee for next spring, would that be enough time for leg to decide on an opt in/opt out option out Fall, 2019?

Olivia: I think it would be enough time.

Brady: I am doing a comprehensive review of the bylaws. This is something I'm taking note of will be considered.

Nan: I'm not sure if the budgeting process is going to change in the upcoming year, this should be taken into consideration for budgeting for the upcoming year which starts in December.

Brady: There's no way this won't be talked about.

Rafe: I think one of the issues here is that it's difficult to understand how this won't affect future decisions. Being left in the dark about future decisions- trying to figure out how much control Rec Board has is an important piece of information. Is there futility in this? How do we move forward?

Varsha: I don't want to have this conversation again. In terms of the Rec, I think we should waive \$22 for next semester.

Tony: Could we be put in Status G where they have to pay the full Rec expansion fee? We waive the \$22 fee, make changes for Fall 2019 and if nothing happens Rec Board can re-establish the fee for Fall, 2019. We could allow people to think about it or we could vote now, but I don't want to rush.

Lee: We either keep it status quo or waive the fee? I think we should vote on it.

Rafe: For voting reasons, it's on the four of you voting members. I'm ready to vote, but don't want to push in any direction.

Nan: I haven't heard from some of you. Those who haven't spoken, do you want more time?

Alec: I think it's down to a simple decision I, I feel like I'm ready to make a decision right now.

Ryan: I think I could decide on it right now.

Greg: For the current budget season – nothing is going to change right now.

Rafe: When we're discussing this next spring for legislation and verbiage at least we'll be a part of that discussion.

Lee: I think we either do nothing or just waive the fee as a short term solution for the spring semester. Continue to think about long term solution. I don't know what else to do. I think leaving it as is, is not going to do well. I don't want to see short term go to long term.

Nan: If it's temporary, it needs to be stated as temporary.

Brady: To have the option to waive or not waive and provide guidance. This would be a signal to Leg Council.

Rafe: I think that's where we were going. I want to first call a vote and see where it stands.

Greg: I think Rec Board could make a request for funding to support the waived fees.

Rafe: It's important to think about funding. With an addition of opt in/opt out, we are talking about a reduction in revenue. Full removal of \$193 per student for each semester is about \$136,000 if they opt out of all fees. That's a much larger conversation.

Tony: Opting out of all fees like Continuing Ed?

Brady: They waive to base fee and pay \$48. Rec fields bond is \$10.75 per student per semester.

Lee: Opting out is not a decision?

Rafe: I think that before we begin to discuss recommendations it comes down to Rec Board and what we can do. Do we put a roll call vote on whether we should waive the \$22 Status G Rec Center expansion fee to pre-comp exam?

Nan: I don't know if we need to classify it as pre-comp because that doesn't apply to masters students still in G status.

Rafe: Roll call vote on whether we should waive the fee of \$22 to status G students in the spring 2019 semester. It passes 5-0. With that being said, I suggest we should make recommendations on next steps. Next thing we should do is research. We should track if there are changes with graduate students usage based on that fee being waived.

Varsha: I think this change should be advertised.

Rafe: I don't think it should be advertised, I want to see what happens naturally. Everyone should have full access to the Rec. I believe it's important to know how this changes grad usage.

Patty: Are you asking for the Rec to promote this change?

Tony: I propose that we put a working group together with Rec leadership and folks from Rec Board and we look at recommendations moving forward that we would channel through Finance Board and Leg Council. This committee would provide recommendations to CUSG on how we should move forward.

Rafe: I will send this out in an email to UGGS.

Tony: we can work on messaging around this so we have clear information.

Rafe: One of my fears is that we'll neglect to understand what's truly happening. These students should have been paying for the last three years but the money wasn't collected. At the end of the day the Rec Center is losing fees that should be coming in. I believe it's important that it's noted that we aren't returning to the way things are but we should be paying this fee.

Nan: The total population is 600-700 but only about 200 paid the fee.

Lee: If people didn't know before and they come next semester they won't have to pay the fee.

Rafe: We don't know how many students this really impacted. We have no way of knowing who came in and then left without paying the fee.

Brady: If we do decide that grad students should be paying this fee of \$22, the other option is restructure the leg council bill for Buff Up the Rec. I don't think it's the right way to move forward, but it's an option. Going to Leg Council with facts is going to make the process easier.

Rafe: Any other comments pertaining to graduate student fees?

Brady: Whatever solution gets worked out, look into the rounding up the fees. Technically it's \$21.25 not \$22. Just

Tony: Jesse had a concern around our staff looking at student bills. We need to determine if it's a FERPA violation. Our staff verifies what status that is. We need to know if we are allowed to do that.

Brady: I suggest going through Bursar office because it eliminates this

Nan: If we know the status we already know the fees. We are just trying to look at these two lines.

Varsha: If you pay student fees hopefully we can opt in and opt out online.

VII. New Business

Patty: Discussion came up at the last meeting to check on day locker usage for one week. Numbers were tracked from last Tuesday to today. Only day use lockers with locks were counted.

Rafe: Looking at day use lockers – ones that are being used at peak time, tons of lockers not being used.

Patty: Half of the locker room are rental lockers. There is definitely room for day use lockers to become rental lockers.

Rafe: You could convert 200 medium lockers into 100 large lockers. You could be renting out 5 times as many lockers as we have been. Could create a large amount of revenue.

Lee: You're assuming you could rent these lockers?

Rafe: I think we could.

Patty: You'd want to start at the east end converting about 2-3 banks of lockers and not necessarily convert but transition.

Varsha: Do the medium lockers get rented out?

Patty: Yes all men's lockers get rented out, in the women's there's still a few smalls left.

Rafe: I think the money used to convert medium into large would be made back in one semester. Unless these numbers are a fluke.

Patty: I think this is a good time of year for accurate counts of lockers.

Tony: I have a question about conversion – would this be an earmark or capital request?

Nan: This would be either an R&R or earmark. I think we should do a financial analysis. We will have to take lockers out of service for construction which would be a loss in revenue.

Patty: We'd have to close the locker room for this project.

Rafe: You can space out more people. I don't want to make assumptions, this is just my opinion based on conversations I've had.

Lee: We waited a long time to get the locker room renovated the first time and I think it was designed as a student space and students come and go.

Tony: Designers said it was a trend to not have overnights, a way of the past but it's not true.

Alec: I think this is pretty exciting. I think from here on out we need to see costs to convert, projected revenue, the financial analysis results. It's clear we won't be putting people that use day lockers at a disadvantage.

Rafe: I would love to see this happen before spring.

Patty: Are talking about January?

Rafe: I think it would be pretty easy.

Lee: It's not going to be easy.

Patty: I want to comment – those numbers are higher because there are those who put contents in a locker without a lock and were not counted.

Alec: I don't show up to stand in line to rent a locker on the first day of the semester. For me it's convenient to use a day locker.

Rafe: What is Rec Board's next step?

Patty: We'll do the financial analysis.

Tony: We'll see what the cost is to get a design analysis, it will tell us how much it will cost to retrofit, the funding source, projections. We can look at discussions around equity for faculty and staff and students. Can we look at ways to present more opportunities for our students?

Varsha: Can we put out flyers or podcast?

Patty: Flyers in the men's and women's locker rooms.

Rafe: Is there an opportunity to table?

Patty: You should talk to Margie to schedule.

VIII. Chair's Report

Rafe: Don't have much to add. Pleased that we are able to move in a positive direction for lockers and UGGS fees.

IX. Director's Report

Tony: If you do have an interest in participating in this working committee send Rafe and me info.

Rafe: There is a lot going on beyond Rec Board meetings with grad students. I made sure to speak to Patty and Nicole and Tony. There's a lot of extra work that goes into things like this. Sometimes it won't appear that things are happening but they are.

Brady: Appreciate the amount of work being done, so thank you.

Tony: I will pass on Director's report and speak on behalf of Dan Rummel. He's been working on getting the dome installed.

X. Executive Team Reports

Nicole: Club banner reception takes place next Thursday at 5pm. It's been relocated to ice overlook meeting room. Looking at Tony's updates – Pac 12 challenge Oct 29-Nov 2. Charlie the tuna is our mascot. One nap pod has arrived and waiting on another nap pod. Oct 29 is the soft roll out date and an opportunity for Rec Board students to try them out.

Nan: Nothing

Patty: Colorado Dem voter rally on 10/24 from 1pm-2pm Farrand field. Bernie Sanders, Michael Bennett, Jared Polis, Joe Neguse will speak.

Tony: Patty has been instrumental in negotiation, working with a variety of stakeholders.

Patty: We'll be laying 5000 sq. ft. of protective flooring for this event.

Patty: Last announcement: Rec Recess is partnering with CUSG for homecoming on October 25th from 11am-1pm on Sewall field with lots of student orgs with interactive tables, games and food.

Rafe: Will you email Rec Recess information to the board?

Patty: Working with Annie and Hadleigh to get information out.

XI. CUSG Report

Olivia: Want to apologize for the serious lack of representation. I don't have a lot of information about the budgeting process. Putting emphasis on joint boards. Doing active harmer prevention, looking to hire a multimedia position, and had a retreat in winter park.

Tony: We have a student production team and will see if there are any students that could be a good fit for the multimedia position.

Brady: My website has a fair amount of stuff if you want to flip through old legislation.

Patty: When did Student Government as we know it come into existence?

Brady: 1974, we have a constitutional amendment. They didn't want any non-students on joint board.

XI. Announcements
None

XII. Adjournment
Alec: Motion to adjourn 10/16 meeting at 7:16pm
Varsha: Second.
Rafe: Meeting adjourned.