The Department of Recreational Sports, in partnership with the Wardenburg Health Center Sports Medicine, provides a free Musculoskeletal Injury Clinic (MSK) to all CU students and $20 for Faculty/Staff. It provides screenings and treatment for minor injuries involving muscles and joints by a physical therapist.

Recommendations for injury prevention and self-care will also be provided.

No taping services provided during this clinic. Wounds, fractures, neck, back, rib, and chest injuries do not qualify for this clinic. MSK is available at the CU Rec Center during the Fall/Spring Semester and year round at Wardenburg Health Center. Walk-in clinic only.

MSK Recreation Center Hours & Location

Fall and Spring Hours:  Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, 1:15-4:45pm
Location: Recreation Center Wellness Suite

MSK Hours at Wardenburg

Fall and Spring Hours: Monday-Friday, 1:00-4:30 pm

Summer and Break hours

Call for Wardenburg Sports Medicine 303-492-6280.
Location: 1st Floor Wardenburg Health Services

I injured myself and am still having pain when I exercise or play sports. What should I do?

"RICE," for "Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation," is the rule for acute injuries. Come get evaluated by a physical therapist at the MSK clinic.

Why is it called MSK?

It's an abbreviation for MusculoSKeletal injury clinic.

Why shouldn't I just wait it out?

It's better to have an injury evaluated as soon as possible, so that you can get back to doing what you love to do as soon as possible.

If I know I have a fracture, should I come to the MSK clinic?

You should go to Wardenburg, Urgent Care, or the emergency room. Find additional information on locations at Wardenburg Home Page.

Do I need an appointment?

No, both clinics are walk in.

How long will I have to wait?

It's first come, first served, so it depends on how busy we are. 

How much does the clinic cost?

The MSK clinic is free to full-fee paying students, and $20 to faculty and staff. Athletic Training Services are free to all recreation center members.

Can I get taped at the MSK or athletic training clinics?

Taping is not provided during the MSK clinic. You can get taped during open hours of the Athletic Training Services. However, you must provide your own tape, or purchase tape at the Guest Services counter.

Is a physical therapist the same thing as a personal trainer?

A physical therapist helps people recover from injuries or diseases of the muscles, joints, nerves, or bones. Physical therapists are legally able to diagnose and treat musculoskeletal impairments. Physical therapy schools require two to three years after a four-year undergraduate degree. After formal training, one must pass a national examination to become a licensed physical therapist. A personal trainer typically works one on-one with an individual and is generally paid by the hour or exercise session. They cannot legally diagnose injuries or treat impairments. A personal trainer is not licensed by the state. They can become certified through a wide range of organizations. A few organizations require a college degree to become certified but not all do.

I don't have the CU sponsored Health Insurance Plans. Can I still come to MSK?

Yes; however, it is helpful to know what your insurance covers in case you need further care. We can help you understand how to access health care.

I want to learn more about why I keep getting injured. Should I just "google" my injury or go to "WebMD"?

No, come in and see us.