If you are required to complete weekly monitoring testing based on your role with CU Boulder, you will continue to be required to participate regardless of when/if you are fully vaccinated. Everyone is required to complete Buff Pass before coming to campus each day regardless of when/if you are fully vaccinated.
Employees: Employees who were part of mandatory monitoring tests during the fall 2020 semester will continue to be required to participate under the direction of their supervisor. Compliance is tracked and reported weekly to the employee’s department.
Students living on campus: Students living in residence halls and at Bear Creek will continue to be required to participate in monitoring tests once a week as a condition of their housing contract.
Expanded Testing for Spring 2021
Weekly monitoring tests are expected for all faculty, staff and students who are on campus at least once a week.
- Faculty, staff and students on campus at least once a week: Please participate in weekly monitoring tests.
- Testing locations and hours are available online. The process is designed to be quick and convenient.
- People who have tested positive for COVID-19 with a diagnostic PCR test should not participate in monitoring tests for 90 days after receiving the positive PCR test result.
Why is weekly monitoring testing expected?
- This is a way to support the health and safety of the campus and the community.
- Early detection of cases can help limit the spread of the virus.
- By meeting this expectation, faculty, staff and students are helping to enable the safest, most positive spring semester experience possible for the campus and community.
- By each person taking on this responsibility, we give the campus community a better chance of avoiding the shared consequences of undetected cases.
- Employees should work with their supervisors as needed on scheduling time for testing during regular work hours.
- Supervisors with questions about testing requirements and expectations for their team members can email the Human Resources Employee Relations Team.
- Students, faculty and staff following Protect Our Herd guidance, including participating in the campus COVID-19 monitoring program and using Buff Pass, will be eligible to receive incentives. Items will include gift cards from a variety of vendors, Buff gear and gadgets.
Immediate family/household members
- CU Boulder faculty, staff and students with a Buff OneCard can bring their immediate family/members of their household to participate in the campus monitoring program. This option will continue as long as testing capacity permits.
Understanding Monitoring Testing Results
- The monitoring testing program has begun providing notifications for results where there are signs indicated with low virus level. This result indicates that the person could either be in the early stages of infection or at the end of infection. When this occurs, the person should return for another monitoring test in 48 hours and observe quarantine guidelines until another test is completed.
- It may occur that a sample will test positive through monitoring and then a follow-up diagnostic test result is negative. The monitoring test can detect an infection earlier when a viral load is lower and later after an infection has mostly passed. This occurs with a number of diagnostic tests both on and off campus. Every test is subject to its own performance characteristics, and each test performs as expected within its parameters. This is something to discuss with a health care provider in the event that another test is warranted.