Registration is now open for the 2021 Build a Better Book Professional Development Conference! Whether you are just getting started or already a network partner, this conference is for you! This virtual conference will be held Monday, September 13 - Tuesday, September 14, 2021. All sessions will be conducted via Zoom. Participation is FREE, but registration is required. REGISTER and save your spot! Registration closes September 8.
Build a Better Book is inviting new and returning partners to a virtual conference for sharing ideas and learning best practices around accessibility and universal design. Learn about tools and models for working in partnership with community members who are blind or visually impaired, teaching STEM and maker skills, and building empathy. New educator partners that register will receive a BBB kit to support implementation at their school or Maker site (while supplies last).
Monday, September 13 - Overview for new BBB Partners
11:30 AM - 3:30 pm (Mountain Time)
- Overview of the Build a Better Book Project - Stacey Forsyth & Kat Penzkover - Build a Better Book
- Understanding Visual Impairments - Leslie Edmonds - Sonoma County Office of Education
- Creating Tactile Materials - Ann Cunningham - Tactile artist, Colordo Center for the Blind
- Braille Basics - Lucia Hasty - Rocky Mountain Braille Associates
Tuesday, September 14 - Sessions for new and current BBB Partners
9:30 AM - 3:30 PM (Mountain Time)
- Morning: BBB in Real Life - Panel presentations and project sharing from BBB Partners
- Tailoring BBB to Fit Your Organization - Reyce Krause, Gila Stein, Gillian Cofnas - Ma'ayanot Yeshiva High School
- BBB and Student Teachers in the Classroom - John Somers - University of Indianapolis
- Virtual and Hybrid Programs - Amanda Cornwell - Central Michigan University
- Beyond Books - Board games & Science content - April Chamberlain and Rachel Brockman - Trussville City Schools
- NaviLens: Navigation and Sound enhancements - Tim Fahlberg - Wisconsin School for the Blind and Visually Impaired
- Breakout Conversations & Networking - Join a breakout room for topical conversations and meet fellow BBB Partners
- BBB in Multilingual Classrooms - Ben Walsh - University of Colorado
- Finding Funding: Donor's Choose and Texas Reads - Mindy Brodecki - Springfield Public Schools & Analiza Perez-Gomez - Laredo Public Library
- What's next for BBB -
- New NSF ITEST Award - Stacey Forsyth & Kat Penzkover
- From Prototype to Product - Ian Matty - Mountain Lakes Public Library & Janet Hollingsworth - The Possible Project
If you have any questions about the workshop or would like additional information, please contact us by email.