Adele Abrams is an attorney, safety professional and trainer who is president of the Law Office of Adele L. Abrams P.C. in Beltsville, MD, Charleston, WV, and Denver, CO, a multi-attorney firm focusing on safety, health and employment law nationwide. Adele is a certified mine safety professional and she also provides consultation, safety audits and training services to MSHA and OSHA regulated companies.
Adele is a regular columnist for numerous magazines on legal, employment, mine and occupational safety/health issues, and is co-author of several books related to mining, construction, employment law, and occupational safety and health.
She is a member of the Maryland, DC and Pennsylvania Bars, the U.S. District Courts of Maryland, DC and Tennessee, the U.S. Court of Appeals, DC, 3rd and 4th Circuits, and the United States Supreme Court. She is a graduate of the George Washington University’s National Law Center, and earned her B.S. in Journalism from the University of Maryland, College Park. Her professional memberships include the American Society of Safety Professionals, National Safety Council, and the American Bar Association.
George Washington University
- Graduate Certificate, Public Relations
- BS, Journalism
University of Maryland
- Council on Education in Management (2004-present): One-day and two-day seminars on worker’s compensation program management; webinars on worker’s compensation and employment law issues.
- Progressive Business Conferences, Business 21, and BLR (2004-present): Webinars on OSHA and MSHA compliance, employment law issues, accident investigations, combustible dust, recordkeeping, and contractor safety.
- National Business Institute (2015-present): speaker at introductory and advanced employment law seminars.
- National Safety Council (and state affiliates) (1989-present): presentations on occupational health issues including asbestos, toxic mold and diesel particulate; MSHA initiatives; OSHA compliance; crystalline silica; independent contractor safety, and voluntary consensus standards.
- American Society of Safety Engineers (1997-present): Presentation on Legislative/Regulatory Developments, OSHA compliance and contractor safety issues, document liability, hazard communication, whistleblower protections, MSHA and OSHA Compliance, ASSE National PDC, Regions IV and VI (2002-present).
- Co-Author of chapters on Subcontractor Risk, Mine Safety and Occupational Health Issues, Construction Safety Management and Engineering (ASSE Textbook, 2004, 2013 editions)
- Co-Author/Section Editor, Safety Professionals’ Handbook (ASSE Textbook, 2007, 2013 editions)
- Co-Author, Doing Business in North America (CILS, 1st and 2nd edition)
- Co-Author, Mine Safety &Health (SME Textbook, 2001)
- Co-Author, Saving Lives (2002)
- Abrams, A. L., (2005). Silica Sampling and Analysis: Legal Issues Evolving from MSHA and OSHA Regulation and Enforcement. ASTM International Journal.
- Monthly Columnist on safety issues, National Wooden Pallet & Container Association Newsletter
- Monthly Columnist on safety/legal issues, Modern Contractor Solutions
- American Society of Safety Engineers - Recipient, 1999/2000, and 2008/2009, Safety Professional of the Year Award (Mining Div.); Recipient, President’s Award, ASSE-National Capital Chapter, 2010; SPY award NCC chapter 2011; Recipient, SPY Award, Region VI 2012
- Chesapeake Region Safety Council, Board member (2015-present)
- National Safety Council, Chairman, Regulations/Standards Committee (2004-present)
- Member, Mining & Mineral Resources Section (1989-present) Chairman (1995-1996)
- American Society of Safety Engineers, Professional Member, Mining and Construction Practice Specialties; National Capital Chapter
- ASTM, Secretary (2014-2016), E34 Committee on Occupational Safety and Health Standards; member, D 22 and D18 Committees
- National Stone, Sand & Gravel Association (2001-present)
- M&S Board Member; member, Legal Affairs Committee, Safety and Health Committee
- Energy and Mineral Law Foundation, member (1996-present)
- Industrial Minerals Association – North America, (2001 – present) Past-Chair, Associate Members Section; Member, Safety Committee; Government Affairs Committee
- Washington Metropolitan Area Construction Safety Association, member
- American Bar Association (Administrative Law, Labor & Employment Sections)
- Maryland State Bar Association
- Bar Association of the District of Columbia