Published: May 15, 2019

Dean Sara Thompson congratulating MSOL student at graduation reception.The Master of Science in Organizational Leadership program celebrated its first graduates on May 9, 2019.

Sixty-three students from three cohorts including Fall 2018, Spring 2019, and Summer 2019 will complete the program by this August. Approximately half of that group attended a reception in Boulder, Colorado on Commencement Day to celebrate their accomplishment along with their families. Around 130 students, family members, faculty, and staff were in attendance. The reception gave many of the MSOL students and faculty the opportunity to meet in-person for the first time.

Dean Sara Thompson and MSOL Program Director Scott Battle were on hand to extend their congratulations on behalf of the Chancellor, Vice Provost, and the University of Colorado Board of Regents.

“Each of you should be commended for taking on the commitment of graduate school on top of the other responsibilities in your life,” said Dean Thompson.  “You’ve earned this celebration and we are proud of you.”

The celebrating graduates hail from all walks of life and geographic locations. Students from New York to California, from law enforcement to healthcare, and from early professionals to seasoned leaders each had a personal reason for earning their master’s degree.

MSOL student Katie Dulle is Director of Sales Consulting for Oracle Data Cloud. She spent the first phase of her career in digital marketing, but plans to transition to organizational development now that she’s earned her degree.

“I’ve been able to practice my MSOL skills and apply the knowledge from my coursework to lead the parental leave task force at work, advocating for policies and resources to support new parents and working families to encourage retention and employee engagement,” said Katie.

Susie Jacobs, a CU Boulder Communications Manager, said, “I considered getting my master’s degree off and on over the years but my family and career were my priority. I was excited to see the MSOL program because it focused on leadership and people as opposed to administration. It lit a spark in me.”

One hundred and forty students are currently enrolled in the MSOL program and 110 are expected to celebrate their own graduation in May 2020.