2020 Spring Conference of the Society for Linguistic Anthropology
The CU Boulder Program in Culture, Language, and Social Practice (CLASP) is pleased to announce that we will be co-sponsoring and co-organizing the 2020 spring conference of the Society for Linguistic Anthropology, to be held April 2-5, 2020 at the Hiltons on Canyon in Boulder, Colorado.
The Call for Presentations invites abstracts for talks, workshops, roundtables, posters, and installations from a wide variety of intellectual traditions dedicated to the study of language and semiosis in social and cultural context. Scholars of anthropology, linguistics, applied linguistics, sociolinguistics, discourse studies, education, communication, media studies, and adjacent disciplines are all invited to participate.
Please save the date and join us this April in the beautiful foothills of the Rocky Mountains!
The CLASP Program at the University of Colorado is an interdisciplinary forum for scholars with interrelated research interests in the sociocultural and sociopolitical analysis of language. The CLASP Conference, organized at all levels by graduate students in the program, is a friendly conference designed for students and faculty to showcase new work. The conference brings in an array of national and international scholars from diverse countries and subdisciplines within sociocultural linguistics, such as sociolinguistics, linguistic anthropology, conversation analysis, critical discourse analysis, bilingualism, literacy studies, ethnography of speaking, and language policy.
The CLASP program has been honored to welcome as plenary speakers scholars from this diverse group of academic fields, including the following scholars:
- Dr. Benjamin Bailey (Communication, University of Massachusetts Amherst)
- Dr. Mary Bucholtz (Linguistics, UC Santa Barbara)
- Dr. David Boromisza-Hayashi (Communication, University of Colorado)
- Dr. Andrew Cowell (Linguistics, University of Colorado)
- Dr. Robert Craig (Communication, University of Colorado)
- Dr. Cecilia Ford (English Language and Linguistics, University of Wisconsin-Madison)
- Dr. Barbara Fox (Linguistics, University of Colorado)
- Dr. Marjorie Goodwin (Anthropology, UC Los Angeles)
- Dr. Kira Hall (Linguistics and Anthropology, University of Colorado)
- Dr. Makoto Hayashi (Humanities, Nagoya University)
- Dr. Christine Mallinson (Language, Literacy, and Culture, University of Maryland)
- Dr. Norma Mendoza-Denton (Anthropology, UC Los Angeles)
- Dr. Kevin O'Connor (School of Education, University of Colorado Boulder)
- Dr. Jonathan Rosa (Stanford University)
- Dr. Jack Sidnell (University of Toronto)
- Dr. Crispin Thurlow (Communication, University of Washington)
Starting with CLASP IV, the conference has competitively selected a student plenary. Past student plenaryes include Lynnette Arnold (University of California, Santa Barbara).
The CLASP conference is made possible through generous donations and support from our sponsors. These sponsors include the Bueno Center; the Department of Anthropology; the Department of Communication; the Department of Linguistics; the School of Education; United Government the Graduate Students; the Center for Studying Indigenous Languages of the West; the Student Organizations Allocation Committee.