Health & Wellness

Health Insurance

All students are required to have health insurance during their time at CU Boulder. Student's can elect coverage under their own insurance plan, through a family member or employer, or the university’s Student Gold Health Insurance Plan.

Once a student is registered for six or more undergraduate credit hours or one or more graduate credit hours, students will be automatically enrolled in the Student Gold Health Insurance Plan. Students can select the Campus Care Supplement or waive the Gold Plan by providing proof of health insurance coverage.

If a student doesn't have health insurance or wants comprehensive coverage on campus, they can confirm their enrollment in the Gold Plan. The Gold Plan provides coverage for Wardenburg Health Services as well as coverage locally and nationally. If a student does not want to be covered by the Gold Plan, they can waive this by providing proof of health insurance coverage.

Campus Care is a supplement for students who already have their own health insurance but want basic on-campus coverage. This plan provides primary care coverage for Wardenburg Health Services in the Medical Clinic and Women's Clinic. Coverage is $175 per semester with no additional fees for covered services.

Students will be able to waive CU Gold Plan coverage each fall semester on their MyCUInfo portal. Proof of other health insurance coverage will be required in order to waive campus insurance plans. More information about waiving coverage can be found here.

It is CU’s policy that all students attending the university are required to have health insurance coverage. Students who do not sign up for the campus health insurance plans must provide proof that they are covered under their own insurance, or through employer or parent’s policies.

The following immunizations requirements must be completed online by all new fall students by September 16, 2016:

  • Proof of two doses of the MMR vaccine:
    Colorado State Law requires all new students to submit proof of two doses each of measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) vaccinations. This is a mandatory requirement for all college students born on or after January 1, 1957. Please check with your physician, high school, previous university and/or military, to obtain an official signed or stamped copy of your records. Medical, religious and personal exemptions are allowed by law; however, in the event of an outbreak, exempted persons may be subject to quarantine and exclusion from school.
  • Complete the New Student Immunization Questionnaire:
    Information and questions on meningococcal disease, the Human Papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine and Tuberculosis.


Medical Services

Medical Services provides comprehensive health care for all CU Boulder students conveniently on campus.

All students can access Medical Services regardless of health insurance coverage though they will only bill the university-sponsored plans, the CU Gold Health Insurance and the Campus Care Supplement.

For students who do not have either of the university plans, visits are comparable to those of similar services in the community and are billed directly to the student. Costs vary based on the type and severity of the visit. A detailed billing statement can be provided for those seeking reimbursement from their insurance provider.

Students with their own insurance can consider the Campus Care Supplement for $175 per semester which provides coverage of basic primary care services on campus for no additional cost. 

There are several urgent care centers and hospital emergency rooms in the Boulder area for sudden illness or injury.

For mental health crisis, students can call 9-1-1 if an immediate response is needed. Students can also call Counseling and Psychiatric Services at 303-492-6766 or 303-492-5654 and press "2" to speak with a mental health professional.

Yes. The Apothecary at Wardenburg Health Center is a full-service pharmacy operated by registered pharmacists and student interns from the University of Colorado Denver School of Pharmacy.

For general, non-serious colds, students can receive a free cold care supplies from Health Promotion with things like tissues, tea and hand sanitizer.

If the student has campus health insurance or supplement, they are covered for visits to Wardenburg. Students without campus health insurance can still visit Wardenburg, but it is not considered an in-network provider. There are also many urgent care centers in the Boulder area that students can access.


Other Resources/Questions

All fee-paying students can receive six mental health visits per year with Counseling and Psychiatric Services (CAPS). These services are available at Wardenburg Health Center and the Center for Community (C4C). CAPS staff includes licensed professional counselors, social workers, psychologists, psychiatrists, nurses and certified addiction counselors. 

The Office of Victim Assistance (OVA) also provides free, confidential response services for students, faculty, staff and their significant others who experience traumatic, disturbing or disruptive life events. 

  • The Student Recreation Center offers cardio and strength training equipment, weight room, climbing gym, ice rink, courts and more.
  • The Sport Clubs Program provides students the opportunity to participate in a competitive sport club against other intercollegiate teams.
  • Intramural Sports provides opportunities for participants to compete in various sports against other students, faculty/staff members, graduate students, student groups, and recreational center members. 

Disability Services has a list of resources and steps to take for students unable to attend class due to temporary medical conditions. There are a variety of offices on campus that can assist students in requesting and coordinating accommodations for these conditions, including Student Support and Case Management, the Office of Victim Assistance, and the Dean of Students Office.

Encourage your student to talk with their RA or friends. RA’s can provide support and help them to get connected on campus with other students and student groups to create a support system here in Boulder. Collegiate Parent also has a great article about dealing with homesickness.