The University policy is that sick or vacation leave is taken after it is earned. The Office of Contracts and Grants will not authorize carryover leave.

If an employee is in a situation where they have exhausted their leave and a major life event or an unusual or extreme circumstance necessitates the need to request leave without pay, the employee must email their supervisor, Director and Deputy Director with the following justification:

1) Explanation of the major life event or unusual or extreme circumstance;

2) How the employee’s work will be covered in their absence. 

After this request is received, it will be reviewed and the employee will be informed if the request is approved. If the request is approved, it will be a one-time authorization and no additional vacation should be requested or approved until it is fully accrued.

Additional Leave Resources

CU Boulder Human Resources Leave Information

MyLeave Step-by-Step Guide for Setting Preferences and Submitting Time