cleveland orchestra member with string section
Dean's Annual Fund

The Dean’s Annual Fund provides funds to continue our tradition of excellence and innovation at the College of Music. Your support also benefits student outreach and career development.  Give to this Fund

donors and student
Music Scholarship Fund

The Music Scholarship Fund supports scholarships to reward our top students and attract our strongest recruits. We want to build a strong student body where students learn from each other, collaborate and grow together, and scholarship funding is crucial in building this kind of student body.   Give to this Fund

students studying abroad
Music Students Travel Fund

The Music Student Travel Fund supports College of Music students as they travel to conferences and workshops, give performances, perform research and more. Travel funding helps our students grow in perspective, network and develop their careers while still pursuing their degrees.   Give to this Fund

Your gift to the College of Music can take many different shapes. CU Advancement is happy to assist you in finding the type of gift that best meets your needs. Explore ways to give by reviewing the options listed below:

Gifts of checks and credit cards
This is the easiest way to give. You may benefit from a charitable income tax deduction for the full value of the gift, which you can use up to 50 percent of your AGI if you itemize.

The CU Foundation accepts payments by credit card through our secure online payment gateway. Checks are also accepted. Checks should be made payable to the CU Foundation (or University of Colorado Foundation). Mail checks to:

College of Music
Attention: Advancement Office
301 UCB
Boulder, CO 80309

Matching Gifts
Some employers match charitable contributions to higher education. To see if your employer will match your gift to CU-Boulder, use this tool.

Stocks, Bonds and Mutual Funds
Funding a gift with stocks, bonds or mutual funds can be beneficial to CU and you. In addition to the charitable income tax deduction, if you have owned these assets for more than one year, you may avoid the capital gains taxes.

Life Insurance
There are different ways to use life insurance as a charitable gift. One option is to make CU the irrevocable owner and beneficiary of any paid-up whole life insurance policy. To determine your potential charitable income tax deduc­tion, please consult your insurance company.

Retirement Plans
If you make CU a beneficiary on your retirement plan document, your gift will be transferred after your death and your heirs may avoid some or all of the income taxes due.

  • IRA: IRA owners who are at least 70½ may request a direct transfer of up to $100,000 from an IRA to the University of Colorado Foundation for the benefit of what they love at CU. Such transfers are not reportable as income and so cannot be claimed as itemized charitable deductions, but do count toward the minimum required distribution (MRD) that IRA owners age 70½ and older are required to take annually for the year the transfer is made.

Gifts in-kind
Gifts in-kind can be made directly to the university, or (if to be sold) to the CU Foundation. We can assist you with this type of donation.

Leave your legacy by making a gift to CU in your will. Bequest donors are recognized through membership in the Heritage Society, or can re­main anonymous.

View sample bequest language

Charitable Gift Annuity
You may be able to transfer cash or securities to CU in return for an annuity that provides fixed income for life for you and/or your spouse or desig­nated beneficiaries. This approach offers valuable tax benefits.

Charitable Trusts
There are several types of charitable trusts that can be structured to achieve both your personal and philanthropic goals. We can discuss the various trust options based on your specific circumstances.

Real Estate
When you give the CU Foundation appreciated property you have held longer than one year, you may get a federal income tax charitable deduction, you may avoid paying capital gains tax and you may no longer have to deal with that property's maintenance costs, property taxes or insurance.