Published: Nov. 18, 2015 By

robbie on stage

Cellist Robert Erhard, now a master's student at the Eastman School of Music, returns to the College of Music to perform with the Symphony Orchestra Nov. 19.

It’s not often you get to return to your alma mater and play one final concert with your peers. Fortunately, the College of Music offers that chance every year to winners of the Honors Competition, and this year sees the return of cellist Robert Erhard.

“I have many fond memories with the orchestra and the CU community. I couldn't be more excited to be performing with them,” he says.

Erhard, now a master’s student at Eastman School of Music, takes the stage with the University Symphony Orchestra on Thursday, playing the Schumann Cello Concerto in A minor, Op. 129. He says the thrill of being back in Boulder—and playing a piece so near and dear to his heart—is something he never dreamed of.

“I chose this piece for a number of reasons, but mostly because I fell in love with it the first time I listened to it as a kid,” Erhard explains. “I discover new things about the piece every day, and find myself constantly pushed as a musician to live up to its demands for musical contrast and expression. I know my relationship with this great work is only beginning!”  

With a busy schedule in New York as teaching assistant to Alan Harris, Erhard and the orchestra are preparing the program in short order. He first got into town this past weekend, and will have two full rehearsals under his belt before Thursday night’s concert in Macky Auditorium.

Erhard’s connection to the College of Music runs deep: his father, Paul Erhard, is professor of double bass. And Robbie’s studied with Director of Orchestral Studies Gary Lewis for many years. “I worked with Professor Lewis as a high school student in youth orchestra, then all through undergrad,” he says. “I am indebted to him for so much of my musical education and growth.”

He says he’s excited to share stories of his time at Eastman with his old friends and peers. “Eastman is a great change of pace. As a grad student, I have learned different time management and productivity skills.”

Erhard has also learned some lessons he hopes to pass along to students looking into grad school. “Try to meet and have a lesson with anyone you are interested in studying with, to get a feel for the environment of each school. You have to work hard and practice smart!”

The University Symphony Orchestra presents its final concert of the semester on Thursday, Nov. 19, 7:30 p.m. in Macky Auditorium. Also on the program are Antonín Dvořák’s Symphony No. 8 and “Slalom” by composition faculty Carter Pann. The concert is free and open to the public.