Office: SEEC C379
Mailbox: 027 UCB
The McGehee group is currently doing research on perovskite solar cells as well as dynamic windows that have adjustable tinting. This research builds on our prior investigations of organic light-emitting diodes and lasers, light extraction from LEDs, light trapping in solar cells, charge transport in organic semiconductors, nanopatterning, organic and dye-sensitized solar cells and semi-transparent electrodes based on meshes of carbon nanotubes or silver nanowires. The group is inspired to develop technology that can provide humanity with clean energy and solve environmental problems. Although all of our projects have a clear application and we interact closely with companies, we take a fundamental scientific approach that involves sophisticated characterization and advanced modeling.
- Kosuke Ishii Award for Industry Education Innovation (2012)
- Global Climate and Energy Project Distinguished Lecturer (2012)
- Ranked by Thomas Reuters as the materials scientist with the 11th highest scientific impact (102 citations/paper) in the world for the period between Jan. 2000 and Oct. 2010
- Mohr Davidow Venture Innovators Award (2007)
- Vance and Arlene Coffman Faculty Scholar Award (2007)
- Materials Research Society Outstanding Young Investigator Award (2007)
- Gilbreth Lecturer at the National Academy of Engineering's Meeting (2006)
- NSF CAREER Award (2001)
- DuPont Young Faculty Award (2001)
- Dreyfus New Faculty Award (2000)
- “Bistable Black Electrochromic Windows Based on the Reversible Metal Electrodeposition of Bi and Cu,” T.S. Hernandez, C.J. Barile, M.T. Strand, T.E. Dayrit, D.J. Slotcavage, M.D. McGehee, ACS Energy Letters, 3 (2018) 104-111.
- “Band Gap Tuning via Lattice Contraction and Octahedral Tilting in Perovskite Materials for Photovoltaics,” R. Prasanna, A. Gold-Parker, T. Leijtens, B. Conings, A. Babayigit, H.G. Boyen, M.F. Toney, M.D. McGehee, Journal of the American Chemical Society, 139 (2107) 11117-11124.
- “Towards Enabling Stable Lead Halide Perovskite Solar Cells; Interplay Between Structural, Environmental, and Thermal Stability,” T. Leijtens, K.A. Bush, R. Cheacharoen, R.E. Beal, A.R. Bowring, M.D. McGehee, Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 5 (2107) 11483-11500.
- “Dynamic Windows with Neutral Color, High Contrast, and Excellent Durability using Reversible Metal Electrodeposition,” C. J. Barile, D. J. Slotcavage, J. Hou, M. T. Strand, T. S. Hernandez, M. D. McGehee, Joule 1 (2017) 133.
- “23.6%-Efficient Monolithic Perovskite/Silicon Tandem Solar Cells with Improved Stability,” K.A. Bush, A.F. Palmstrom, Z.J. Yu, M. Boccard, R. Cheacharoen, J.P. Mailoa, D.P. McMeekin, R.L.Z. Hoye, C.D. Bailie, T. Leijtens, I.M. Peters, M.C. Minichetti, N. Rolston, R. Prasanna, S. Sofia, D. Harwood, W. Ma, F. Moghadam, H.J. Snaith, T. Buonassisi, Z.C. Holman, S.F. Bent, M.D. McGehee, Nature Energy, 2 (2017) 17009.
- “Progress in Understanding Degradation Mechanisms and Improving Stability in Organic Photovoltaics,” W.R. Mateker, M.D. McGehee, Advanced Materials, 29 (2017) 1603940.
- “Perovskite-Perovskite Tandem Photovoltaics with Optimized Bandgaps,” G.E. Eperon, T. Leijtens, K.A. Bush, R. Prasanna, T. Green, J.T.W. Wang, D.P. McMeekin, G. Volonakis, R.L. Milot, R. May, A. Palmstrom, D.J. Slotcavage, R.A. Belisle, J.B. Patel, E.S. Parrott, R.J. Sutton, W. Ma, F. Moghadam, B. Conings, A. Babayigit, H.G. Boyen, S. Bent, F. Giustino, L.M. Herz, M.B. Johnston, M.D. McGehee, H.J. Snaith, Science, 354 (2016) p. 861-865.
- “Light-Induced Phase Segregation in Halide-Perovskite Absorbers,” D.J. Slotcavage, H.I. Karunadasa, M.D. McGehee, American Chemical Society Energy Letters, 1 (2016) p. 1199-1205.
- “Semi-transparent perovskite solar cells for tandems with silicon and CIGS,” C.D. Bailie, M.G. Christoforo, J.P. Mailoa, A.R. Bowring, E.L. Unger, W.H. Nguyen, J. Burschka, N. Pallet, J.Z. Lee, M. Gretzel, R. Noufi, T. Buonassisi, A. Salleo, M.D. McGehee, Energy & Environmental Science, 8 (2015), p. 956-963.
- “Reversible photo-induced trap formation in mixed-halide hybrid perovskites for photovoltaics,” E.T. Hoke, D.J. Slotcavage, E.R. Dohner, A.R. Bowring, H.I. Karunadasa, M.D. McGehee, Chemical Science, 6 (2015), p. 613-617.