MSE Areas: Semiconductors, Chalcogenides, Nonlinear optical material properties, Lasers, Optofluidics, Electrowetting
My research is at the intersection of electrical engineering, physics and materials science, with a focus on lasers and optical devices. We study novel materials and devices with cw and short pulse lasers to characterize their linear and nonlinear properties. Devices are fabricated with exotic materials for nonlinearity enhancement (chalcogenides) as well as adaptive optics (electrowetting lenses and prisms). We are also very interested in laser development, which is tied very closely to materials research. In particular, we are developing laser sources for the mid-infrared region targeted at sensing, communications and imaging applications. Additionally, we are studying alternative ways to create short pulse lasers while circumventing nonlinear effects that prevent power scaling.
- G. Kang, M. R. Krogstad, M. Grayson, D.-G. Kim, H. Lee, J. T. Gopinath and W. Park, "High quality chalcogenide-silica hybrid wedge resonator," Optics Express 25 , 15581-15589 (2017).
- O. D. Supekar, M. Zohrabi, J. T. Gopinath, and V. M. Bright, "Enhanced response time of electrowetting lenses with shaped input voltage functions ," Langmuir 33, 4863-4869 (2017).
- R. D. Niederriter, B. N. Ozbay, G. L. Futia, Emily A. Gibson, and J. T. Gopinath, "Compact diode laser source for multiphoton biological imaging ," Biomedical Optics Express 8, 315-322 (2016).
- M. R. Krogstad, S. Ahn, W. Park, and J. T. Gopinath, "Optical characterization of chalcogenide Ge-Sb-Se waveguides at telecom wavelengths," Photonics Technology Letters 28 2720- 2723 (2016).
- S. Terrab, A. M. Watson, C. Roath, J. T. Gopinath, and V. M. Bright, "Adaptive electrowetting lens-prism element," Optics Express 23 25838 - 25845(2015).
- P. W. Juodawlkis, J. J. Plant, W. Loh, L. Missaggia, F. O'Donnell, D. C. Oakley, A. Napoleone, J. Klamkin, J. T. Gopinath, D. J. Ripin, S. Gee, P. J. Delfyett, and J. P. Donnelly, "High-Power, Low-Noise 1.5-μm Slab-Coupled Optical Waveguide (SCOW) Emitters: Physics, Devices, and Applications," IEEE J. of Sel. Top. in Quant. Electron. 17, 1698-1714 (2011).
- NSF CAREER Award (2016)
- R and D 100 Award (2012)
- CU Provost Achievement Award (2016)