MSE Areas: Liquid crystals, electrooptics, thin films
Joseph Maclennan’s research interests center on determining the structure and electro-optic properties of liquid crystal materials, including bent-core and ferroelectric smectics and ferromagnetic colloids, and on understanding the textures and phase transitions of freely-suspended liquid crystal films, including interactions and ordering behavior of topological defects and islands and the 2D hydrodynamics of liquid droplets. Principal experimental methods include optical video microscopy, x-ray diffraction, and visible light spectrometry.
Selected Publications and Accomplishments
- "Realization of hydrodynamic experiments on quasi-2D liquid crystal films in microgravity," N. A. Clark, A. Eremin, M. A. Glaser, N. Hall, K. Harth, C. Klopp, J. E. Maclennan, C. S. Park, R. Stannarius, P. Tin, W. N. Thurmes, T. Trittel, Advances in Space Research 60, 737-751 (2017). DOI: 10.1016/j.asr.2017.04.014
- "Active microrheology of smectic membranes," Z. Qi, K. Ferguson, Y. Sechrest, T. Munsat, C. S. Park, M. A. Glaser, J. E. Maclennan, N. A. Clark, T. Kuriabova, and T. R. Powers, Physical Review E 95 (1), 022702 (2017). DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevE.95.022702
- "Diastereomeric liquid crystal domains at the mesoscale," D. Chen, M. Tuchband, B. Horanyi, E. Korblova, D. M. Walba, M. A. Glaser, J. E. Maclennan, and N. A. Clark, Nature Communications 6, 7763 (2015). DOI: 10.1038/ncomms8763
- "Field alignment of bent-core smectic liquid crystals for analog optical phase modulation," Y. Shen, L. Goodhew, R. Shao, M. Moran, E. Korblova, D. Walba, N. A. Clark, J. E. Maclennan, and P. Rudquist, Applied Physics Letters 106 (19), 191101 (2015). DOI: 10.1063/1.4919805
- "Mutual Diffusion of Inclusions in Freely Suspended Smectic Liquid Crystal Films," Z. Qi, Z. H. Nguyen, C. S. Park, M. A. Glaser, J. E. Maclennan, N. A. Clark, T. Kuriabova, and T. R. Powers, Physical Review Letters 113 (12), 128304 (2014). DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevLett.113.128304
- "Chiral heliconical ground state of nanoscale pitch in a nematic liquid crystal of achiral molecular dimers," D. Chen, J. H. Porada, J. B. Hooper, A. Klittnick, Y. Shen, M. R. Tuchband, E. Korblova, D. Bedrov, D. M. Walba, M. A. Glaser, J. E. Maclennan, and N. A. Clark, PNAS 110 (40), 15931–15936 (2013). DOI:10.1073/pnas.1314654110
- "Nanoconfinement of guest materials by helical nanofilament networks of bent-core mesogens,” D. Chen, C. Zhu, H. Wang, J. E. Maclennan, M. A. Glaser, E. Korblova, D. M. Walba, J. A. Rego, E. A. Soto-Bustamante, and N. A. Clark, Soft Matter 9, 462–471 (2013). DOI: 10.1039/c2sm25997d
- "Athermal photofluidization of glasses," G. J. Fang, J. E. Maclennan, Y. Yi, M. A. Glaser, M. Farrow, E. Korblova, D. M. Walba, T. E. Furtak, and N. A. Clark, Nature Communications 4, 1521 (2013). DOI: 10.1038/ncomms2483
- "Two-dimensional Microrheology of Freely-Suspended Liquid Crystal Films," A. Eremin, S. Baumgarten, K. Harth, R. Stannarius, Z. H. Nguyen, A. Goldfain, C. S. Park, J. E. Maclennan, M. A. Glaser, and N. A. Clark, Physical Review Letters 107, 268301 (2011). DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevLett.107.268301
- "Spontaneous Fluid Ferroelectric Order in a Bent-Core Liquid Crystal of Orthorhombic Smectic Layers," R. A. Reddy, C. Zhu, R. Shao, E. Korblova, T. Gong, Y. Shen, E. Garcia, M. A. Glaser, J. E. Maclennan, D. M. Walba, and N. A. Clark, Science 332, 72–77 (2011). DOI: 10.1126/science.1197248
- "Chiral Isotropic Liquids from Achiral Molecules," L. E. Hough, M. Spannuth, M. Nakata, D. A. Coleman, C. D. Jones, G. Dantlgraber, C. Tschierske, J. Watanabe, E. Körblova, D. M. Walba, J. E. Maclennan, M. A. Glaser, N. A. Clark, Science 25, 452–456 (2009).
- "Organization of liquid crystals on submicron scale topographic patterns with fourfold symmetry prepared by thiolene photopolymerization-based nanoimprint lithography," Y. W. Yi, V. Khire, C. N. Bowman, J. E. Maclennan, and N. A. Clark, Journal of Applied Physics 103, 093518 (2008).
- "Direct Measurement of Interaction Forces between Islands on Freely Suspended Smectic C Films using Multiple Optical Tweezers," A. Pattanaporkratana, C. S. Park, J. E. Maclennan, and N. A. Clark, Ferroelectrics 344, 71 (2006).
- "Electric Field Induced Chirality Flipping in Smectic Liquid Crystals," M. Nakata, R.-F. Shao, J. E. Maclennan, W. Weissflog, and N. A. Clark, Physical Review Letters 96, 067802 (2006).
- "Polarization-Modulated Smectic Liquid Crystal Phases," D. A. Coleman, J. Fernsler, N.Chattham, M. Nakata, Y. Takanishi, E. Korblova, D. R.Link, R.-F.Shao, W.G. Jang, J. E. Maclennan, O. Mondain-Monval, C. Boyer, W. Weissflog, G. Pelzl, L.-C. Chien, J. Zasadzinski, J. Watanabe, D. M. Walba, H. Takezoe, and N. A. Clark, Science 301, 1204-1211 (2003).
- "Control of Molecular Orientation in Electrostatically Stabilized Ferroelectric Liquid Crystals," D. Coleman, D. Mueller, N. A. Clark, J. E. Maclennan, R.-F. Shao, S. Bardon, and D. M. Walba, Physical Review Letters 91, 175505 (2003).