Academic Calendar 
The Office of the Registrar maintains and publishes the Academic Calendar for all standard classes. The Academic Calendar is the main resource for important dates and deadlines for all things related to course registration, add/drop, withdrawing, financial aid, tuition, bill due dates, and required documentation.  Dates and deadlines can also be found in students’ MyCUInfo accounts.  


Academic Standing 

To remain in good academic standing, MENV students must make timely progress towards degree completion. They must also meet the standards of scholarship established by UCB, the Graduate School, and the MENV Program. These standards include:

  • Maintaining a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0. If a student’s GPA drops below 3.0 for one semester, they will be placed on Academic Probation. More information on academic probation can be found in the Graduate School Rules. 
  • Limiting unfinished coursework. Excessive unfinished coursework is defined as more than nine credits of incomplete grades on a student’s transcript.
  • Completing the degree on schedule. Students are expected to complete the MENV degree in 24-months, unless a petition is approved by the MENV Faculty Director (see section on Non-Traditional Students).  

Auditing a Course 
Admitted degree students, either enrolled or suspended, are not permitted to audit courses. If an admitted degree student is interested in participating in a class without receiving credit, the student must enroll in the course for ‘no credit.’ Courses taken for no credit have the same tuition rate as courses taken for credit.  


Change of Specialization
A student may change specializations with approvals from the Specialization Lead and the Faculty Director, up until the end of the second week of classes in their first semester in the program. After this date, changes may be approved upon review, but will likely extend the time required for the student to graduate beyond 24-months. To request a specialization change, students must:
1. Discuss changing specializations with the current Specialization Lead.

2. Discuss the desire to switch with the potential new Specialization Lead.
3. Submit a MENV Petition Form outlining the request.
4. Once the change is approved, the student will be notified and the student’s sub-plan will be changed in the student’s enrollment records. 


Course Capacity 

MENV seeks to accommodate all MENV students who would like to take a MENV course (core, specialization, or Capstone sequence). Students will be able to take core and Capstone courses according to the MENV curricular schedule. Some MENV courses, however, may have limited enrollments. If a course is full, students can be waitlisted or contact the instructor of record to see if an exception can be made. Courses that are not a part of the MENV curriculum, such as elective taken from other departments, may have enrollment limits, prerequisites, and approval processes that are not under MENV control. Contact the corresponding department and/or instructor of record to discuss any enrollment questions or concerns.  


Course Materials 

Required readings and books will be determined by the instructor and clearly laid out in the course syllabus. While instructors will make an effort to distribute the syllabus to enrolled students in advance of the class, this is not always possible. Similarly, instructors will, when possible, provide a list of readings or books that students can purchase in advance of the start of the class. Electronic readings and other materials will be posted to CU Boulder’s online education management platform. Students should inquire with the instructor as to the best source from which to acquire required readings. 


Course Registration 

Students will register for courses using the Buff Portal during the following times:

  • Your assigned enrollment dates
  • The schedule adjustment period (fall registration only)
  • The open enrollment period

More information on course registration (adding a class, dropping a class, waitlists, etc.) can be found on the Office of the Registrar website.    

Course Schedules 

MENV strives to have courses scheduled as far in advance as possible. Scheduled MENV courses are always scheduled before the semester in which the course offered begins. If the MENV program requires a change to a course schedule, enrolled students will be notified of the change via e-mail. Courses offered by MENV will be shared with students at least one moth prior to open registrations for the upcoming semester. 


Dismissal from the Program
Violation of University of Colorado, University of Boulder, Graduate School, or MENV policies may results in dismissal from the MENV program. Students are bound to CU Boulder’s Honor Code, as well as policies concerning harassment and discrimination. Final determination of dismissal from the MENV program shall be made by the Faculty Director, pursuant to CU Boulder policies and procedures. Student appeals of this process can be made according to the Graduate School Grievance Policy. 


Deferring a Course 

Students should follow the recommended timeline for the core and specialization curriculum. Circumstances may develop, however, when a student may wish to defer taking a course until a subsequent semester. Students who wish to defer a core or specialization course must:
Consult with the MENV Associate Director of Curriculum
Prepare a petition, including a proposed course of study indicating when they will take the course(s) they wish to defer;
Get the signature of their faculty or specialization advisor; and
Submit petition to the MENV Associate Director of Curriculum for final approval. 


Dual Degree: MENV-MBA 

To support UCB’s mission of advancing knowledge across disciplines and in the recognition that business education and the training has relevance to many academic fields, the Leeds School of Business and the Masters of the Environment Graduate Professional Degree Program endorse a dual degree program in which both a Master of the Environment (MENV) and Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree are awarded to those students who satisfy the requirements as agreed upon between the two programs. If interested in learning more about the MENV-MBA dual degree, please contact Associate Director of Curriculum. 



Students must take all non-capstone sequence courses for a letter grade. University of Colorado Boulder Graduate School policy requires that all graduate students must earn at least a C in all courses to receive a Master’s degree. If a MENV student receives less than this grade, the student must repeat the course the following year to graduate from the MENV program. There are no exceptions to this requirement. There are no other courses that can substitute for core or specialization requirements. Specific requirements for curricular performance will be provided by course instructors.

  • Core Courses: MENV students who do not receive the minimum acceptable grade must retake the core course.
  • Required Specialization Courses: MENV students who do not receive the minimum acceptable grade must retake the required specialization course or if there are options within the specialization, another required specialization course. Regardless of whether a specialization course is retaken, or a different specialization course is taken in its place, the student must ultimately receive satisfactory grades for the minimum number of courses required for that specialization. 
  • Electives: Failure to receive the MENV minimum acceptable grade for an elective will require that the student either retakes the elective or take another in its place.
  • CIL Courses: Students who do not receive the minimum acceptable grade for a CIL course must take that particular CIL course again when it is offered. 
  • Capstone Project: Students who do not receive the minimum acceptable grade for their Capstone Project course must do complete a new Capstone Project. 

Graduation Process

  • Application for Admission to Candidacy: The courses taken to fulfill MENV graduation requirements will be listed in this form. Three signatures are necessary before submitting the form to the Graduate School where all information will be verified against your records. Master’s degree students must submit this form no later than the posted graduation deadlines listed by the Graduate School.
  • Online Graduation Application: Students must apply online through the Buff Portal in order to graduate. This notifies the Graduate School and MENV that the student intends to graduate, and it provides necessary information to the Registrar’s Office for ordering and shipping diplomas. Students must apply to graduate online whether or not they plan to attend the ceremony.
  • Deadlines: To be eligible to earn an advanced degree, students must fulfill appropriate requirements as established by their major department and the Graduate School and have an approved Candidacy Application. Students should submit paperwork to the MENV Graduate Program Coordinator first, to allow time for review, before Graduate School Deadlines. Procedures and deadlines required by the Graduate School can be found on the Master Deadlines website. 
  • Master Graduation Checklist: The Master Graduation Checklist is intended to be used as a supplement to information obtained from the University Catalog, the Schedule of Courses, the major department, and as an aid to preparing degree plans for master students.  


Grade of Incomplete or “I” grades are discouraged, but an Incomplete may be assigned when all of the following conditions are met:

  • The student asks the professor for the incomplete grade
  • The student is unable to complete the coursework for reasons beyond his/her control
  • The student has completed >50% of the course work 

If the request is granted, the instructor sets the conditions whereby the course work will be completed. The instructor and student will sign a MOU to agree upon the arrangement in which the incomplete will be fulfilled. Work for incomplete grade must be completed within one year. The timeframe and plan for completion must be included in the MOU. Grades for incomplete must be submitted on a Change of Record Form, signed by the professor, and submitted before the grading period ends at the end of the semester. If an “I” grade is not submitted before this deadline, an Incomplete will convert to an “F.”   


Independent Study 

An independent study is a collaboration between a student and a faculty member on a special project that provides the student with a learning experience. An independent study may also fill an academic need of importance to the student that cannot be filled by regular course offerings. Independent studies are opportunities for students to earn credit for learning outside the normal lecture and seminar class structure.  

The following rules apply to independent studies:

  • A maximum of nine credit hours of independent study may be applied to MENV degree requirements as electives.
  • A maximum of six credit hours of independent study may be taken per semester.
  • Independent studies may be supervised by any appropriate University of Colorado faculty member.
  • A proposal for an independent study must be made by submitting the Independent Study Agreement Form to the MENV Graduate Program Coordinator, complete with student and supervising faculty signatures and MENV Faculty Director approval, by no later than 10 days into the semester in which the independent study will be conducted.
  • A final product of the independent study (i.e. a report, publication, dataset, etc.) must be submitted to the supervising faculty member before credit is awarded toward degree requirements.
  • Independent studies may not be arranged retroactively.
  • Independent study credit is not allowed for internship experiences, co-ops, work-study, or work done for pay, per University policy.
  • At the end of the independent study, the student must submit a copy of the final product to the faculty advisor (a report, a computer code, publication, dataset, etc.). 

Leave of Absence 

Graduate students must apply for a leave of absence if they withdraw from or do not enroll in classes for a Fall or Spring semester. Graduate students who do not apply for a leave of absence and fail to enroll in classes will be discontinued and must reapply to the UCB in order to return. More information on taking a leave of absence from UCB can be found through the Office of the Registrar. If you are called to military active duty, please see Procedures for Students Ordered to Active Duty. A leave of absence is not required for summer semester; graduate students not taking summer classes are still considered active students. 


Non-Traditional Student  

MENV students who wish to extend or condense the 24-months to complete the program are referred to as ‘non-traditional’ students. MENV has developed a framework to construct a curricular structure for non-traditional students to successfully complete the program in an identified time span that is greater or less than 24-months. Students must submit a petition and complete an MOU that includes a curriculum plan agreed upon by both the student and the MENV Faculty Director. 


Petition of MENV Policies and/or Program  

In the event a student would like to request an exception of any MENV policy or procedure, they must submit a MENV Petition Form. Please contact to request the MENV Petition Form.

The following requests require a petition:

  • Change of Specialization
  • Non-Traditional Student request (to extend or condense program duration)
  • Take <9 or >15 credit hours in a semester
  • Waive a required core or specialization course
  • Transition to a dual degree
  • Drop or add a course after college or university deadlines
  • Credit transfers to be counted towards degree requirements
  • Significant change to Capstone Project criteria or project

No Credit and Pass/Fail 

Course work to be applied toward an advanced degree may not be taken for no credit (NC). Courses taken for no credit cannot be used toward the minimum credit load requirement for full-time or half-time status. No coursework that is to be applied toward an advanced degree may be taken pass/fail. 


Readmittance to Program 

Students who have been enrolled in a degree-seeking program at CU Boulder but are no longer eligible to register for classes must reapply following these steps on the Admissions website. A regular degree student who is dismissed for failure to maintain a 3.0 GPA is eligible to apply for readmission after one year. Approval or rejection of this application rests jointly with the student's major department and the Dean of the Graduate School. The final decision will be made by the Dean based on the recommendations of the department. 


Satisfactory Academic Progress 

Federal regulations require that all students make Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) in a program of study to maintain eligibility for financial aid. SAP include meeting the minimum GPA requirements for the MENV program, completing 67% of all attempted course work and completing the MENV degree within 150% of the standard program length. A corrective action plan may be put into place between the Faculty Director, Specialization Lead, and student in question to make recommendations regarding retention and program continuation. It is the responsibility of the student to be as proactive as possible in tracking their academic progress towards meeting graduation requirements. Student should seek out the necessary resources to ensure academic progress is being made within the timeframe and requirements set by the program. 


Time Limit for Completion of Degree 

Master’s degree students have four years from the semester in which they are admitted and begin course work to complete all degree requirements. Students may request an extension of the time limit through a formal request and planning process. More information can be found in the Graduate School Rules. 


Transfer of Credits 

Transfer credit is defined as any credit earned at another accredited institution, credits earned on another campus of the CU system, or credits earned as a non-degree student within the CU system. Students may transfer up to nine semester hours from an accredited university. The courses must be graduate level, and students must have obtained a grade of “B” or better on all work being considered for transfer, and the courses cannot have been used toward a bachelor’s degree or graduate degree. 

Students must submit the following documents to the Graduate Program Coordinator to obtain approvals and for processing:
1. Request for Transfer of Credit Form
2. MENV Petition (request from
Course Syllabus (if available)  

Typically, transfer credits only qualify as electives, however, in rare circumstances, credits may meet the requirements of select MENV core courses. Graduate School policy indicates the transfer of credits from other accredited institutions are not included in the calculation of a student’s GPA.  


Waiving a Course  

MENV students may sometimes be interested in seeking a waiver from required courses because they may have a background or expertise in a particular course topic. Generally, the program discourages students from waiving courses because the curriculum has been developed in a structured manner.  


MENV students must still take a minimum of 48 credits to graduate from the MENV Program. As a result, any course that is waived must be replaced by an alternate that is approved by MENV Administration. Students interested in seeking a course waiver must first see the Associate Director for Curriculum. 


Withdrawal from the Program 

To withdraw from the MENV program, please contact the Graduate Program Coordinator to determine degree requirements that may be unfulfilled by withdrawing. Graduate students must sign up for a leave of absence if they plan on returning to the program. If you do not sign up for a leave of absence, you will be discontinued. More information on withdrawing from the University can be found through the Office of the Registrar.