Phononics, wave metamaterials, quantum sensing, complex networks
Dr. Li’s research spans theoretical, computational, and experimental study of both coherent phonons (waves) and incoherent phonons (heat) in nano and atomic scale. Research topics include but not limited to control and manipulation of heat flow and using phonons (as information (both classical and quantum) transmission, storage (memory), and detection (sensing). Cloaking of heat and seismic waves.
Our research on the one hand will make use of wasted heat, on the other hand will be shielding critical civil lifelines by rendering them as ‘invisible’ as possible to earthquake.
- X-K Gu, Y-J Wei, Xiaobo Yin, B Li, and Ronggui Yang, Phononic Thermal properties of 2D materials, Review of Modern Physics 90 (4), xxx (2018) (to appear in October 2018).
- S R Sklan, R Y.S. Pak, B Li, Elastic wave Cloaking via Symmetrized Transforming Media, New Journal of Physics 20, 063013 (2018)
- S Sklan and Baowen Li, Thermal Metamaterials: Function and Prospects, National Science Rev. 5, 138 (2018).
- D. Ding, X.-B Yin and B Li, Sensing Coherent Phonons with Two-photon Interference, New J. Physics 20 (2), 23008 (2018)
- Y Zhao, D Liu, J Chen, L-Y Zhu, A. Belianinov, O S. Ovchinnikova, R R. Unocic, M. J Burch, S-k Kim, H-F Hao, D S Pickard, B Li, and J T L Thong, Engineering the thermal conductivity along an individual silicon nanowire by helium ion irradiation, Nature Communication 8, 15919 (2017).
- H-X Han, B Li, S Volz, and Yuriy A. Kosevich, Ultracompact Interference Phonon Nanocapacitor for Storage and Lasing of Coherent Terahertz Lattice Waves, Phys. Rev. Lett 114, 145501 (2015).
- X-F Xu, et al, B Li, O ̈zyilmaz, Length dependent thermal conductivity in Suspended Graphene, Nature Communication 5, 3689 (2014).
- S. Liu, P Hanggi, N.-B Li, J. Ren, and B Li, Anomalous heat diffusion, Phys. Rev. Lett. 112, 040601 (2014)
- D Liu, R-G Xie, N Yang, B Li and J. T L Thong, Spatially-resolved profiling of thermal resistance within nanowires, Nano Letter 14 (2), 806 (2014).
- N.-B Li, J. Ren, L Wang, G. Zhang, P. Hanggi, and B Li, Colloquium: Phononics: Manipulating Heat Flow with Electronic Analogs and Beyond, Review of Modern Physics 84 (3), 1045 (2012)
Selected Honors and Awards
- 2017 Selected Member of Academia Europaea
- 2017 Brillouin Medal from International Phononics Society
- 2014/2015 Russell Severance Springer Professorship from UC Berkeley
- 2013 APS Fellow
- 2007 World Scientific Medal and Prize
- 2005 OCPA Achievement in Asia Award
- 2005 National Science Award, Singapore