Published: June 22, 2017 By , ,
Alan Jaimes at a Pre-Health Meeting

I have officially completed my first year of college. I am proud to announce that I am the first in my family to complete a year in college, nevertheless attend one. I doubt that I could have gone this far without the help and support that the McNeill Academic Program has given  me. This program gave me a better outlook and appreciation of what college and academics are meant to be. I believe the majority of students would say that a classroom is like the restroom: we are never there for more than we need to. However, I say that the McNeill classroom is my kitchen: I constantly indulge in knowledge beyond the scope of what I knew I was capable of. The courses offered by the McNeill Academic program have made me eager to learn more about subjects that weren’t in my field of vision. I was able to ask questions without being ridiculed on my decisions and actions. The numerous study spaces in the building allow me and my classmates to struggle together on problems, and it is extremely helpful when the instructor has their assigned office hours at the study space. This program breaks the cookie cutter mold  from traditional university programs and delivers a different, personalized academic track that meets a scholar’s needs. My peer mentor was instrumental in helping  me navigate all the confusing requirements about my various classes and majors. I am grateful for having another student assist me in the process of adjusting to a big university and all that comes with it, because it made me feel welcomed. I cannot say enough incredible things about the McNeill Academic Program. It has positively impacted my academic career and has inspired me to seek out new information,  to never be satisfied for what you have, and to persevere in all realms of life. The instructors, the staff, and the various students that I have been blessed to interact with in McNeill are no longer strangers to me. McNeill is my community, it is my home, it is my family and I could never ask for anything better.