A Learning Management System (LMS) is a web-based platform used by faculty to share content, administer assessments and communicate with students. Over the next two years, we will be migrating to the Canvas LMS. Desire2Learn will be retired at the end of the spring 2019 term.
Based on extensive evaluation and the project team’s recommendation, campus leadership selected Canvas by Instructure, Inc. due to its:
- Ease of use and intuitiveness.
- Mobile friendliness.
- Publically available system performance reports.
- Open-core architecture allowing flexibility and interoperability with outside tools.
Students started using Canvas in spring 2018. Instructors started developing their spring 2018 courses in Canvas in fall 2017.
Yes. Once you create your Canvas course, you will be enrolled in a course in Canvas that contains your migrated D2L course materials within two business days. You can attend a Course Migration Support session or meet with a Learning Technology Consultant (LTC) for assistance with using this material. Contact the IT Service Center at email@example.com or (303)735-4357) to schedule a consultation.
Yes. If you are an Instructor, a sandbox is available to you when you login to Canvas at https://canvas.colorado.edu. If you aren’t an Instructor, complete this form and a sandbox will be created for you in two business days. If you do not receive confirmation after 2 business days, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
No. Please ensure that you are comfortable with developing and teaching your course in Canvas before you create it. If you aren’t sure, please use your sandbox instead. If you are an Instructor, a sandbox will be available to you when you log-in to Canvas mid-October. If you aren’t an Instructor, complete this form and a sandbox will be created for you within two business days. If you do not receive confirmation after 2 business days, please contact email@example.com.
Yes, a variety of training options are available:
- Participate in a CU Boulder hosted Canvas Workshop.
- Attend a Canvas hosted webinar, which you can register for after you create an account with your CU email account (@colorado.edu).
- Meet with a Learning Technology Consultant. To schedule a consultation, contact the IT Service Center at: firstname.lastname@example.org or (303)735-4357 (5-HELP).
- Complete the self-paced Canvas video tour, which consists of a series of short videos designed to help Instructors learn how to use Canvas. Total viewing time is 45 minutes.
- Search the Canvas Instructor Guides for step-by-step documentation.