University of Colorado Boulder Libraries
Ask A Librarian Apprenticeship
Approximately 12 hrs/week over Spring 2021 semester, $19/hr
Gain practical professional experience in a fast-paced academic library. The CU Boulder University Libraries is looking to hire an Ask A Librarian Apprentice who will receive training in research competencies, staff the Ask A Librarian virtual chat service two evenings from 5-9pm and one weekend day (preferably Sundays) from 1-5pm each week, participate in special projects under the mentorship of a faculty librarian, and explore issues relevant to new academic librarians through professional development opportunities. The successful candidate will provide virtual research assistance in a major academic library that serves a world-class research university. This position is a great opportunity to supplement your graduate studies with experiential learning. Right now, given the unprecedented situation with COVID-19, initial training will emphasize virtual reference support. The ideal candidate is willing to be flexible and responsive with the changing demands of this position per campus health and safety protocols.
- Provide virtual research assistance through our Ask Us! chat service
- Attend trainings, workshops, and meetings on a virtual meeting platform
- Participate in special project work with Ask A Librarian Apprenticeship supervisor
- Explore other opportunities for professional development based on interest
- Currently enrolled as a library & information science graduate student for the duration of the apprenticeship.
- A strong customer service orientation and a desire to provide high quality research assistance.
- Interest in pursuing a career in academic librarianship.
This program begins with trainings which can occur around your schedule either in December 2020 or early January 2021. The Ask a Librarian Apprentice is expected to complete approximately 12 hours per week, covering nights and weekends (schedule to be finalized at point of hire). The Apprentice will be paid $19/hr. For full consideration, please apply by November 20, 2020 . A course schedule providing proof of enrollment in a library science graduate program is required at the time of hire.
To apply, please submit the following documents:
- Cover Letter
- Unofficial Transcript
Send application materials with “Ask a Librarian Apprenticeship Application” in the subject line to Megan.Welsh@colorado.edu.