University Libraries ("Libraries") personnel are charged with enforcing the rules and regulations of the Libraries. The Libraries Security office will address specific complaints and incidents as needed. If an issue may warrant it, CU Police assistance will be requested.
University Libraries Rules and Regulations
- Obstruction, harassment or interference with staff or patrons is prohibited. For instance, excessive noise is prohibited.
- All persons on University property must identify themselves upon request of a University official acting in performance of their duties who reasonably suspect that the person has committed, is committing, or is about to commit a crime or a violation of a University rule or regulation.
- Users of the Libraries must comply with campus smoking, drug and alcohol policies.
- No bikes, skateboards, hoverboards or other recreational wheels are allowed in the library.
- No pets or assistance animals are allowed. ADA Service Animals are welcome.
- No food or beverages are allowed in Special Collections and Archives or in other specific locations as posted.
- No distribution of flyers, posting of events, or advertisements are permitted in the Libraries without prior approval from the Commons Desk manager or official approval from branch heads.
- Photography and filming in the Libraries is regulated by the Libraries Filming Policy.
- Damage or theft of Libraries’, Campus or personal property should be reported to Libraries Security or the branch head.
- Only authorized personnel are allowed in areas designated for staff only.
- Areas of the Libraries may be under video surveillance.
- Laying down of bedding, arrangement of furniture or use of furniture for the purpose of sleeping is prohibited. This does not include students who “doze off” while studying.
- In the event of an emergency, and in the absence of the Deans, or building proctor, Security is authorized to control entrances, advise patrons to shelter in place in the Libraries, or lock doors into the Libraries.
Norlin Commons after Norlin Library closes:
- Access is restricted to valid Buff OneCard holders exclusively and Buff OneCards are required for access. Do not prop doors or provide access to the Norlin Commons for other individuals.
- All persons in the Norlin Commons must identify themselves with a Buff OneCard upon request of a University official acting in performance of their duties. At closing of Norlin Library, all patrons in the Norlin Commons may be asked to identify themselves.
Many of the items listed are also violations of municipal or state law and offenders may be contacted by the University of Colorado Police Department.
“Libraries” means the University Libraries, including Norlin Library and the four library branches in Benson, Imig, Math and Koelbel buildings.
About University Libraries Security
Security is part of the Building Management Unit of the University Libraries Administration. In addition to patrolling the building, Security assists in health and safety emergencies or building emergencies when Building Management isn’t available.
- University Libraries Security operates at all times that Norlin Library is open to the public.
- The Security office is in Norlin S205, second floor, southwest side, near the west entrance.
- Video cameras may be in use around the Libraries for security purposes.
- Security staffs the east entrance, the Norlin office and regularly do rounds including rounds of other libraries.
- Security personnel are in radio contact with the Circulation Desk, Service Entry, Building Management, Commons and Campus Police.
- Lost and found items should be turned in to the Security office.
Contact University Libraries Security
Security can be reached by calling 303-492-5527. If it's an emergency, dial 911.