The School of Medicine began humbly in 1883, Boulder, with two students and two professors. Today, the medical school now is part of a bioscience center that also includes schools of dental medicine, pharmacy, public health and nursing housed at the CU Anschutz Campus. However, this image is from an original competitor of the CU Medical College called the Gross Medical College, which eventually merged with the Denver University Medical College. CU Boulder Archives holds the records from the school pre-merger (1888-1902) and this photograph from "Dissection: Photographs of a Rite of Passage in American Medicine: 1880-1930."
The University of Colorado Boulder Libraries will celebrate the centennial anniversary of the Archives on June 6, 2018. This is story #9 in our series: 100 Stories for 100 Years from the Archives!