Note: The recommended browser for all work in Canvas is Chrome.
Keep in mind what you want the students to be able to achieve when they complete the course. Develop course content, discussions, assignments and quizzes/exams with those objectives in mind. The LDG team can work with you to adjust your discussions, assignments, projects, quizzes and exams to the remote format and to meet your course objectives.
We strongly recommend you have your course ready two weeks before the course starts. For all courses, faculty should send a welcome email to students, attaching a copy of your syllabus with the textbook information so students will have their textbooks when the course starts.
- Contact the LDG team to schedule a virtual meeting.
- NEW Now is the Time for Planning with Canvas (Canvas Video Training, 24min)
This video walks you through the beginning steps of moving a course to a remote format or starting development for an online course.
The following steps can be completed before you meet with an Instructional Designer from the LDG team or they can be done during your virtual meeting.
- Request your Canvas course shell. If you have questions or issues, contact OIT Support for assistance.
- Log into Canvas video, log into Canvas guide.
- Find Canvas course video, find Canvas course guide.
- Planning your remote course
- If you have taught your remote course in a face-to-face format or have taught a similar course, you can start the development process with content that you already have. The Planning Document will help you start by identify existing content, synchronous portions of your course, online components and content you will need to edit or develop. You can work on this document before your virtual meeting with a LDG Instructional Designer or discuss this document during your meeting.
- Course Syllabus
You can use an existing syllabus and include information that will let students know your expectaitons and how best to communicate with you. This syllabus template includes information we recommend you include in your course syllabus. You can download the syllabus template, add your information to the syllabus template and upload it to your Canvas course, or use the syllabus template as a guide and add information to your existing course syllabus and add it to your Canvas course.
Quick overview video of the Canvas system
General Canvas Information
- Overview of Canvas module video
- Create a module video, create a module guide
- Creating module headings guide
- Adding an external link to Canvas module guide
- Overview of Canvas page
- Create a basic Canvas page video, create a basic Canvas page guide
- Adding pages to Canvas module guide
- Overview of Canvas file guide
- Naming Canvas files video
- Uploading files to Canvas course shell guide, uploading files to Canvas course shell guide
- Adding files to Canvas module guide
- Publishing Canvas files
- Overview of Canvas discussion video
- Create an ungraded discussion
- Adding discussion to Canvas module guide
- Overview of Canvas Assignment tool video
- Create a graded Canvas Assignment video, create a graded Canvas Assignment guide
- Adding assignments to Canvas module guide
- Grading an assignment using SpeedGrader (Canvas Community)
- Overview of Canvas quizzes
- Create simple Canvas Quizzes (Canvas Community)
- Adding quizzes to Canvas module guide
- Basics for getting started with Zoom for CU Boulder faculty and staff
- Recording a Zoom meeting video
- Sharing your screen video
- Security toolbar icon for hosts video
- Upload Zoom recording to Canvas video
- Zoom personal preferences video
- Check your notification settings to get course information. Notification preference video, Canvas notification preferences guide
- Notifications for a single course guide, notifications for a single course video NEW FEATURE
- View your course as a student. Student View guide.
- See if there are any broken links in your Canvas course by using the Course Link Validator video.
- Publish your course before the semester starts to make sure students have access. Publish course guide, publish course video.
During the Semester
- Post announcements guide shows how to make announcement to share information with students.
- Email students through Canvas email or through course roster email.
- Grade discussions using SpeedGrader
- Grade assignments using SpeedGrader
- Join the Microsoft Teams group Online Instructor Round Table to share with other instructors, and to ask questions about teaching in the remote and online format.
- What (Some) Students Are Saying about the Switch to Remote Teaching and Learning (EDUCAUSE)