Your eligibility for opportunities for employment, school transfers, and program changes depends on your maintaining lawful status. When you enter the US, an immigration inspector asks you to read and sign a statement on your Form DS-2019. Your signature signifies your agreement to abide by the conditions of J1 status while in the US.
To maintain your status, you must:
- remain enrolled full-time at the institution you are authorized to attend (12 credit hours for undergraduates, 5 credit hours for graduate students)
- hold a valid, current DS-2019
- maintain a passport that is valid for at least 6 months into the future
- have appropriate authorization for any work and not be employed for more than 20 hours per week while classes are in session
- carry the required insurance coverage (Click onto the insurance page)