International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) is dedicated to helping CU’s international students have a successful academic career at CU Boulder.  While the ISSS advisors are not academic advisors, ISSS strives to support our international students to the best of our ability.  You can review our handout on Ideas for Academic Success.  Additionally, CU Boulder has many helpful avenues of academic support, some of which are listed here.

Tutoring and Other Academic Services

There are many services available on campus that provide help. Many of these services are free to students with the exception of most individual tutoring programs.

  • The Student Academic Success Center offers an array of services to help students: consultation, one-to-one and group tutorials, workshops, test proctoring, and referrals. You are usually responsible for paying for tutors.
  • Residence Hall Tutoring Program: If you are having difficulty in a course and live in a residence hall, Housing & Dining Services provides academic tutoring in a variety of subjects. The program organizes tutoring sessions for three or more residence hall students. For more information, consult your hall director, or call 303-492-0640, or pick up a tutoring request form in your hall.
  • The Writing Center is available for individual consultation on students' writing. Services are free to students, faculty, staff, and alumni, but you must make an appointment in advance. You can make an appointment in person or online. 
  • University Libraries offers instruction in library research strategies and information access and evaluation. Topics include reference desk services, term paper research counseling, research consultation, and workshops and demonstrations.

ISSS ESL Information

Students who are non-native English speakers may find assistance from several of our ESL resources.  Review them on our ESL Information web page.

Additional Academic Resources

Students in Transition (for students in or tranferring to the College of Arts and Sciences):

Students in Transition (SiT) advisors and administrators serve as resources to student populations who need specialized advising and support including international students and exchange students. More about Students in Transition

The Bold Center (for students in the College of Engineering):

The BOLD Center is more than just an organization; it’s also an inclusive, 24-hour computer-supported study and tutoring center and home-away-from-home for students. The BOLD Center is your place to find community, academic support, and everything you need to set you on a path to make a world of difference as an engineer. More about the BOLD Center

Bounce Back:

Counseling and Psychological Services is offering Bounce Back, a semester long group for students on academic probation (AP), who are at risk of being on AP, or who are in Continuing Education working toward reinstatement. Students can improve academic skills, rebuild their confidence, and connect with others who are going through similar experiences. They can learn better study and organization skills and explore other factors affecting academic success such as stress, finding balance, motivation, and building support, through a research based program shown to increase the likelihood of successfully getting off probation. The group will meet weekly starting the third week of the semester. More about Bounce Back

Counseling and Psychological Services:

Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) offers up to six free confidential counseling sessions every academic year as well as unlimited groups and workshops. No appointment necessary for first visit.  Walkin hours: M-F 10-4.  Afterhours phone services available. Refer to our website for more information and resources:  More about Counseling or Psychological Services or call : 303-492-6766.

Ombuds Office:

The Ombuds Office can be a valuable resource to students who are experiencing conflict with a professor, advisor, student, or other campus community members.  Find out more about their services by visiting: More about Ombuds

College Specific Academic Advising

College of Arts and Sciences

College of Business

College of Engineering

College of Music