Finding reasonably priced housing in Boulder is a challenge. There are many options in housing that you can explore—and don't be surprised if it takes a while before you can find something you like that is in your price range. Below are some of the options you have for housing in Boulder:

On-Campus Rooms and Apartments

University Residence Halls

Many undergraduates choose to live in CU-Boulder’s residence halls. They are located on campus, come with meal plans, and are therefore a convenient place to live. Most rooms are doubles and have Internet access and refrigerators. Residence hall spaces are in great demand and fill up quickly.

There are options for 9, 10, and 12 month leases at Willard Hall starting Fall 2013. Please see Housing and Dining Services for more details. If you are arriving early and are not living in Willard Hall, you will be charged an extra daily fee for room and board.

Please note: University residence halls are for students only. Scholars will generally not be able to get space in the residence halls.

How to apply: You can apply for a room in a residence hall online at Housing and Dining Services, but you must have your CU login name and IdentiKey password.

**You will get your student identification number in your official letter of acceptance from the Office of Admissions. Your PIN (Personal Identification Number) will be sent to you by Information Technology Services (ITS). You may have to wait to apply for housing online until you have your student identification number and your personal identification number.**

To activate your IdentiKey password, go to MyCUInfo. Log in with your PIN and student identification number to set your password. If you have difficulty with this process, email the Housing & Dining Services Reservation Center at

If you have difficulty applying for a residence hall room online, or you prefer to complete a paper application, you may ask to have an application mailed to your home address by contacting the Reservation Center at Return your completed application as quickly as possible.

University Family Housing

Family housing consists of several apartment complexes located north and east of campus. One- and two-bedroom apartments are for married students, and studio-style apartments (i.e., one-room quarters) are for single students. There is usually a very long wait due to high demand, so apply early. The application for family housing is separate from that of the residence halls. For further information, contact the Family Housing Office at 1350 20th Street, Boulder, CO 80302, call 303-492-6384, or email

Off-Campus Rooms and Apartments

Allow plenty of time before classes begin to search for housing off campus. We recommend that you come to Boulder one to two weeks before classes begin because rooms and apartments can be difficult to find and are expensive. Although it is a good idea to look through classified ads before you arrive, it is best to wait until you get here, before you make your decision. You will also need to pay the required deposits and sign lease papers in person.

Another place to look for housing is the Off Campus Housing and Neighborhood Relations, located in the University Memorial Center (UMC). They have information about rooms and apartments available for rent and can help you find what you are looking for. The Off-Campus Student Services Office web page is helpful and worth reading. Of particular interest is the section called The Boulder Tenants’ Guide. When you check in at ISSS, ask to see our Renter's Handbook.

It is important to remember that the initial costs of living off campus may be rather high. In most cases, you have to submit a damage deposit (which is usually the amount of the rent of one month), in addition to the first month's rent. Moreover, in most cases, utilities are extra, so you may need to pay for gas, electricity, water, telephone etc., as well as your rent. Be sure you find out how much your total cost will come to every month before signing any contracts.