Published: July 29, 2021
Picture of Ryan Goos

Get to know a little about International Sponsored Student Assistant Advisor, Ryan Goos, who just joined ISSS in July 2021!

Where have you lived (in the U.S. and abroad)?

My time in the U.S. has mostly been in the Midwest: I grew up in Minnesota, went to college in Iowa, and just moved to Colorado from Wisconsin. I spent one semester studying abroad in Córdoba, Argentina, one year teaching English in Madrid, Spain, and just over two years also teaching English in Shanghai, China!

What countries have you traveled to?

Mexico, Argentina, Spain, Portugal, France, Belgium, The Netherlands, Italy, England, China, Japan, Thailand, The Philippines, and South Korea! My tops picks would probably Italy and Thailand.

Where would you like to travel to some day?

If I had to pick just two, I would probably say Norway or New Zealand are at the top of my list.

What is your favorite Colorado destination?

I just moved to Boulder, so I'm looking forward to exploring - feel free to share any recommendations!

What was your favorite subject to study in school?

Definitely Spanish, I love learning languages.

What is your favorite thing to cook or bake?

I've gotten really good at making tres leches cake!

What is your favorite take-out food?

Shanghai style xiaolongbao (小笼包) are by far my favorite, I need to find somewhere to get them in Boulder!

Tell us something about yourself that sounds made-up but is 100% true! 

I traveled in Italy during Easter and was able to attend Mass at the Vatican and get within about 10 feet of the current Pope. I always tell people that "I saw the Pope live!"

Share something you are doing to take care of yourself during the pandemic.

I discovered that I really enjoy guided meditations! The Insight Timer is a great app to try that is completely free.

What is the best advice you have ever been given?

"It all works out in the end; if it isn't worked out, it's not the end."