Published: March 9, 2021
Photo of Hannah Juliff

Get to know a little about International Student and Scholar Assistant Advisor, Hannah Juliff, who has been working at ISSS since January 2020!

Where have you lived (in the U.S. and abroad)?

I lived in a small bayou town in southeast Louisiana for most of my life. On the road to the house I grew up in, there is a bayou and I always count how many alligators I can see poking out of the water while driving down that road. I lived in Oxford, Mississippi for 3 years while earning my master's degree in higher education/student personnel. In 2019, I moved to the Denver area of Colorado, where I live now!

What countries have you traveled to?

I studied abroad in Cork, Ireland for 1 month in the summer of 2015. Since then, I have visited Spain, Norway, Honduras, Sweden, Denmark, Switzerland, France, and the Czech Republic. My husband and I made it our goal to travel abroad at least once per year, but the pandemic put a pause on those plans. The Czech Republic doesn't get enough attention for being a really budget friendly and beautiful place to visit. For example, a glass of beer was cheaper than a glass of water when we visited!

Where would you like to travel to some day?

Germany and Italy have been on my list for a long time, now. When the pandemic is over and Ariana Grande goes on tour again, my husband and I want to get tickets to one of her shows abroad. I'd also love to visit India one day.

What is your favorite Colorado destination?

I love spending time in the mountains. I grew up below sea level in Louisiana and my favorite Colorado hike is Sky Pond in Rocky Mountain National Park. I love exploring the mountains. I just did my first 14er in October 2020!

How do you like to spend your free time?

I love reading. In 2020, I read 68 books and my goal for 2021 is to read 75. I also play guitar and have been trying to improve my skills by watching youtube videos.

Share a favorite movie, tv show, book, blog or podcast.

My favorite author is Leesa Cross-Smith. My favorite book is "The Great Alone" by Kristin Hannah.

Tell us something about yourself that sounds made-up but is 100% true! 

I auditioned for American Idol when I was 16!

is your favorite quote?

"Bloom where you are planted" -unknown

What is your favorite take-out food?

Dos Santos in Denver has a taco kit that I've gotten a few times in the past year. It's delicious and comes with lots of different toppings so you can get creative and build different combinations.

What was the best concert you ever attended?

I got to see Ellie Goulding when I studied abroad in Ireland which was EPIC but I also got to see Ariana Grande in Denver in 2019.

Do you have a pet? 

I have a 3 year old black and white cat named Rebel (like the Ole Miss Rebels because we got her when we lived in Mississippi and attended school at Ole Miss). She is very talkative, loves to watch the snow fall from the living room window, and loves routines.

What was your favorite subject to study in school?

English! I have always loved writing and editing.

In your opinion, what makes CU Boulder unique?

I have now worked on 4 different college campuses and I find that what makes CU Boulder unique is that there is as much school spirit around sports as there is around academic achievements. I love that the campus rallies behind their academic programs AND their sports teams. It is a really special place and I'm so lucky to be part of it.