Published: March 18, 2020

All CU Boulder departments with H-1B employees please read the information below. If there are any questions, please contact the ISSS advisor assigned to your department.  

Working Remotely from a Location in the U.S.
It is acceptable for an H-1B employee to work from a remote location inside the U.S. This will not affect H-1B immigration status. Additional action to report working remotely is not required.

Placement on Paid Administrative Leave
It is acceptable for H-1B employees to be placed on paid administrative leave. When the leave is officially approved by HR, ISSS is automatically notified via internal database systems. ISSS will reach out to departments individually to confirm when H-1B employees are expected to be removed from leave. 

Leaving the U.S. and Working from Abroad
It is acceptable for an H-1B employee to leave the U.S. and work from abroad; however, prior to leaving the U.S., each H-1B employee and their hiring department must have a discussion about Export Control issues. ISSS cannot advise on the export control process. We recommend that you contact the Export Control office with any questions about export control restrictions that apply to work undertaken by an H-1B employee while abroad.  

Returning to the U.S. after Spending Time Abroad
All H-1B employees must retrieve their I-94 upon re-entering the U.S. The I-94 is an official record of entry into the U.S. It is imperative that an I-94 is properly recorded upon re-entrance to the U.S.  Improperly recorded I-94s can have a negative impact on H-1B status. Therefore, ISSS recommends that, after each re-entry into the U.S., all H-1B employees submit their I-94 to ISSS for review via the ISSS Document Submission Form. ISSS will send a notification and instructions for how to proceed if the I-94 is incorrect.