Clare 106 and 111
- The biomechanics and energetics of walking, running, bicycling and cross-country skiing.
- Director: Rodger Kram, Ph.D.
- Post-doctoral Researcher: Wouter Hoogkamer, Ph.D.
- Undergraduate Students: Jackson Brill, Andrew Burns, Christian Carmack, Nate Claire, Helena Meyer, Jayden Peacock, Tanner Shioshita, Clarissa Whiting
- Alaa Ahmed, Ph.D. Neuromechanics Lab, University of Colorado Boulder
- Christopher Arellano, Ph.D., University of Houston
- Owen Beck, Ph.D. Georgia Tech
- Timothy J. Breiner, M.S. Penn State University
- William Byrnes, Ph.D., Applied Exercise Science Lab, University of Colorado Boulder
- Todd Carver, M.S. Specialized Bicycle Components
- Scott Delp, Stanford University
- Jesse Frank, M.S.. Specialized Bicycle Components
- Koren Gast, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Israel
- Nicola Giovanelli, Ph.D. University of Udine, Italy
- Alena Grabowski, Ph.D. Applied Biomechanics Lab, University of Colorado Boulder
- Mike Hahn, University of Oregon
- Hans-Christer Holmberg, Ph.D., Mid-Sweden University
- Erik Johnson, Applied Math Department, University of Colorado Boulder
- Shalaya Kipp, M.S. University of British Columbia
- Geng Luo, Nike Sport Research Lab
- Jill McNitt-Gray, University of Southern California
- Raziel Riemer, Ph.D. Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Israel
- Edson Soares da Silva, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
- Erik Summerside, Ph.D.
- Paolo Taboga, Ph.D. Sacramento State University
Current Research Projects
- Running - We are investigating: stress fractures in collegiate distance runners (Hahn, McNitt-Gray, Delp and Grabowski); steep uphill mountain running (Brill, Giovanelli, Whiting); uphill running economy (Breiner); how shoes, turns and aerodynamic forces affect running economy and marathon performance (Arellano, Carmack, Hoogkamer, Johnson, Kipp, Luo, Taboga,) and the biomechanics and energetics of running with leg prostheses (Grabowski, Beck, Taboga).
- Bicycling - We are investigating: mountain bike suspension systems (Hoogkamer, Carver); how cycling shoes affect mechanical power output (Burns, Hoogkamer, Carver); the accuracy of on-board power meters (Carver, Frank); the mechanical power losses in drivetrain components (Shiohita) and how a better bike can be designed for extremely obese riders (Clair).
- Walking - We are investigating: how a treadmill with variable spring stiffness can help stroke recovery and Parkinson’s disease patients; how people make decisions about their walking routes based on time, metabolic energy and intensity of effort (Ahmed, Meyer, Riemer, Summerside); how the people of Chaco Canyon, New Mexico transported 200,000 very large timbers 80km without using wheels or animal power (~850 -1250 AD) (Peacock).
- Cross-Country Skiing – We are investigating the biomechanical determinants of the metabolic cost of cross-country skiing (Holmberg).
Opportunities for Undergraduates
- The requirements for undergraduate students who want a research experience in our Laboratory are:
- Completed at least one academic year at CU.
- Will be at CU for at least two more semesters.
- Available for 8-10 hours of time per week in blocks of 2-4 hours at a time.
- IPHY, Engineering, Anthropology and Applied Math majors are encouraged.
- For more information, contact Prof. Rodger Kram. Unfortunately, due to high demand, we cannot accommodate all qualified students.
Opportunities for Other Trainees
- Dr. Kram is Associate Professor Emeritus and is no longer accepting graduate students.
- For information about postdoctoral opportunities, contact Prof. Rodger Kram.
- Batliner ME, Kipp S, Grabowski AM, Kram R, Byrnes WC. Does metabolic rate increase linearly with running speed in all distance runners? Sports Medicine International Open, 38: 2:1132-1138, 2018.
- Beck ON, Kipp S, Byrnes WC, Kram R. Viewpoint: Use aerobic energy expenditure instead of oxygen uptake to quantify exercise intensity and predict endurance performance. Journal of Applied Physiology https://doi.org/10.1152/japplphysiol.00940.2017, 2018.
- Hoogkamer W, Kipp S, Franz JH, Farina EM, Luo G, Kram R. A comparison of the energetic cost of running in marathon racing shoes. Sports Medicine 48: 1009-1019, 2018.
- Kipp S, Byrnes WC, Kram R. Calculating metabolic energy expenditure across a wide range of exercise intensities: the equation matters. Applied Physiology, Nutrition, and Metabolism 43: 1-4, 2018.
- Summerside EM, Kram R, Ahmed AA. Contributions of metabolic and temporal costs to human gait selection. Journal of the Royal Society Interface, DOI: 10.1098/rsif.2018.0197, 2018.
- Swinnen W, Kipp S, Kram R. Comparison of running and cycling economy in runners, cyclists, and triathletes. European Journal of Applied Physiology https://doi.org/10.1007/s00421-018-3865-4, 2018.