Robert Allen (Recycling) – nominated by Jason Tavares
Robert has been helping with the football games and noticed a pretty serious safety hazard in the stadium. While working during the games Robert noticed that raising and lowering the field goal nets creates a tripping hazard for the university marching band. Robert also noticed some large metal conduit brackets protruding from the stadium wall. A plan is now in place to prevent further incidents.
Michael Najera, Darren Brown, and Craig Perez (Pipe Shop, Fire Systems Shop) – nominated by Rich Trujillo
During the campus closure the Pipe Shop received a call from the service desk reporting a steam leak at the Event Center. Michael Najera, Daren Brown and Craig Perez responded. When they arrived on site, it was about 300 degrees Fahrenheit in the mechanical room. Michael contacted Johnny with Fire Systems isolating the smoke alarms preventing the fire department from being called in. They installed some fans in the mechanical room, providing some fresh air and prevented the sprinklers from discharging. These team members' quick thinking and immediate action helped to minimize the damage to the building.
Chris Dobis (Fire Systems Shop) – nominated by Jay Marler
An employee on Team 3 fell yesterday and injured her ankle. Chris Dobis sprang to action and made sure that she was taken care of until the ambulance arrived. He contacted police and fire. He was the primary witness. He made sure that our employee had something to sit on since the ground was cold. He also made sure that she had something covering her to keep her warm while she waited.
Sushila and Kalsang (Team 6) – nominated by Rubi Andazoloa
Sushila and Kalsang were working the night shift in the ATLAS building on campus when they noticed an individual that they had never seen before in the building. They called their supervisor and their supervisor called CUPD. These team members did the correct thing by calling CUPD and not approaching the individual.
Charles Holstein and Adriana Charbonnet (Outdoor Services) – nominated by Trent Wilson
Mice found our native seed stockpile in one of our sheds and decided to move in and make an absolute mess! Charles and Adriana took on the nasty job of getting everything cleaned up, and with safety in mind by wearing the appropriate PPE. We are now going to store any seed we have in mouse-proof containers.