Congratulations class of 2021!
As we continue to face unique challenges due to the COVID-19 pandemic, our virtual celebrations will allow us to honor the Class of 2021 and our Fall 2020 graduates together while keeping our International Affairs CU Buffs community safe. Click the blue link below to view the Spring 2021 International Affairs Graduation Virtual Ceremony (website) featuring videos, a message from the director, and individual graduate recognition slides!
We know that you had an unusual end to a great career here at CU, but like your family and friends, we - the International Affairs faculty and staff - warmly congratulate you on this milestone and expect that your academic achievements will open great opportunities for further study or careers, whether in the United States or in the global arena.
The International Affairs Program will be providing a pre-recorded celebration on May 7, 2021 for our 2021 graduating class, including messages from our director, advisors, and faculty. We are also using Marching Order to provide a slideshow display of names, quotes, and photos of our class of 2021. We carefully deliberated on our ceremony options, and to best reach our graduates and their families and friends across the country and world, we felt that a pre-recorded celebration would be the best fit for IAFS celebrations. We hope that our ceremony in addition to the university-wide live ceremony and any other ceremonies you may be attending (major, minor, special groups) will make for a truly wonderful and celebratory week!
Graduates: please look for emails (sent only to your colorado.edu email address) from CU Commencement, Marching Order, and the IAFS Program regarding your IAFS graduation celebration! A printable IAFS graduation program, including class of 2021 graduate names, will be emailed to all graduates - families and friends are asked to receive this from their graduate, if they would like the PDF or any information regarding graduation. Closed captioning will be provided for our pre-recorded ceremony videos.
- University of Colorado Boulder Virtual Commencement 2021 Live Ceremony, on Thursday, May 6 at 12:00pm MDT - all university, colleges, schools, etc (recording is available after May 6).
- Request a University of Colorado Boulder Commencement Program, click here. The deadline to submit your request is May 20, 2021.
- Highlights of the Livestreamed Commencement Ceremony:
- Remarks by Chancellor Philip P. DiStefano
- Congratulatory messages from CU President Mark Kennedy
- Commencement address by Dr. Dwinita "Nita" Mosby Tyler
- Senior Class Council address
- Traditional senior class celebratory video
- Presentation of Chancellor’s Recognition Awards and Outstanding Graduates
- Conferral of degrees
- Welcome to the Forever Buffs Family
- Reading of the Norlin Charge by the University of Colorado Board of Regents
- Performance of the Alma Mater
- Grad Appreciation Days provide several in-person opportunities on campus to celebrate grads (students only, no families & friends allowed to attend at this time). Learn more here.
- Want to purchase a festive lawn sign to celebrate? You can purchase them here.
- Looking for graduation tassels, memorabilia, diploma frames, shirts, gifts and more? The CU Bookstore has it all and does free shipping on orders over $75.
- Want more festive ways to celebrate? Check out the CU Commencement Pinterest Board.
Details and a complete list for preparing to graduate can be found here.
- Review your degree requirements with your advisor. This includes certificate programs that may be on your degree audit.
- Verify your graduation deadlines. Also, pay close attention to the CU Academic Calendar.
- Apply for graduation online through the student portal. Learn more here. Last day for Spring 2021 graduation application submit (or cancel) is April 29 11:59pm.
- Update your permanent address.
- Clear your records if you have I's and IF's or other pending grades.
- Check to make sure you are not registered for future courses in your current degree program for an upcoming term.
- Contact Career Services for professional resume help and resources.
- Learn more about Forever Buffs Network, the Alumni Association (lots of benefits noted!), and the IAFS Alumni Group in LinkedIn.
- Diplomas & Certificates
- CU Boulder mail your complimentary paper diploma and/or certificate approximately eight weeks after the end of the semester in which you complete your degree requirements. If you didn't establish a separate diploma address when you applied to graduate, your diploma will be mailed to your home address (note: the post office will not forward your diploma if your address changes). Your diploma will only be mailed if you've satisfied all your financial obligations within one year after graduation. Students who resolve their financial hold after the allotted time must instead order a replacement diploma.
- Your permanent address on file is according to the Registrar’s office – it is your responsibility to check your permanent address on file and update as needed.
- Learn more about Ordering Diplomas and Certificates on the Registrar's webpage.
- Office of the Registrar's Graduation & Diploma FAQs: https://www.colorado.edu/registrar/students/graduation/faqs.
- Winter Ceremony
- Currently, International Affairs does not provide a fall/winter program ceremony. We encourage our fall/winter graduates to participate in the University-wide celebrations and join all academic year IAFS graduates in our spring ceremony.
- Spring In-person Ceremony for 2020 and 2021
- We know many of you will have travelled or moved beyond Boulder, and we hope you (with your families and friends) will be able to return and participate in a future in-person ceremony for International Affairs. In-person ceremonies are dependent on status updates and impact of the Covid-19 pandemic, university, county, and state policies and regulations.
- When we have more information, we will be in touch with these graduates. We hope to be able to provide an in-person ceremony to celebrate our graduates in the future, working collaboratively with the university's commencement office.