Established in 1901, the History Department at the University of Colorado at Boulder has been and continues to be the home of nationally and internationally renowned historians. At the undergraduate and graduate levels our program has traditionally offered a broad education in most fields of historical inquiry. The Department's faculty focuses on the following areas: the Twentieth Century World; the Early Modern World; Gender, Sexuality, and Women's History; War; Imperialism; Nationalism and Decolonization; and Political History. The Department encompasses a variety of approaches, including social, cultural, transnational, and world history. Our aim is continuously to help define our field within the larger community of historians and to develop our students into informed, contributing, and effective citizens, scholars, and teachers, able to respond flexibly and with wisdom to changes in the profession and the world.
Located in Boulder, Colorado, an attractive town at the foot of the Rocky Mountains, adjacent to one of North America's major metropolitan areas, the University of Colorado is the largest center of higher education in the Intermountain West. Its physical facilities and intellectual resources, along with those provided in the local area and region, support the varied interests and interdisciplinary activities of the History Department's faculty and students. We have intellectual ties to other departments and units on campus, including International Affairs, Classics, Geography, East Asian Languages and Civilizations, the center for British and Irish Studies, the Center of the American West, Political Science, Women's Studies, English, Art History, Anthropology, Center for Medieval and Early Modern Studies, Religious Studies, Slavic Studies, and Ethnic Studies. The University of Colorado's strengths in the sciences, law, medicine, and education also support our faculty's and students' extra-departmental interests.
History is housed on the second floor of the west wing of the Hellems building. The Hellems Arts and Sciences building was completed in 1921 and was the first building to be constructed in the Italian rural style under the concept developed for the University by architect Charles Klauder of the Philadelphia firm Day & Klauder. The building was first referred to as the Liberal Arts Building or Arts Building until it was named for CU Liberal Arts Professor and Dean Fred Hellems (1899-1929). In 1938 the east and west wings were added to the building, and in 1956 the Hellems Annex (later known as the Education Building) was completed to the west of Hellems Arts and Sciences to house the College of Education. Curious about the architecture of the CU Campus? Here are some links: