An 80,000 word PhD thesis would take 9 hours
to present. The time limit... 3 minutes.
Founded by the University of Queensland in 2008, the Three Minute Thesis (3MT) is an academic competition that cultivates students’ presentation and science communication skills. The competition challenges them to describe their research within three minutes to a general audience.
The sixth annual competition at CU Boulder will take place in February 2023. We plan to open the application to participate in the next 3MT competition in the 2022 fall semester. All doctoral candidates who willl have passed their comprehensive exams and been admitted to candidacy by January 1, 2023 will be eligible to participate.
For more information, contact Hailey Herman.
3MT Professional Development Trainings & Workshops
Applicants have the opportunity and are expected to participate in trainings and workshops leading up to the preliminary rounds and a final competition. These workshops include topics such as:
- Communicating your research in three minutes
- Science storytelling
- Communicating to a general audience
- Effectively presenting the story of your research
- Improv techniques for public speaking
The virtual 3MT Final Competition was held on February 9, 2022 at 4:30 p.m.
- Varsha Koushik - Winner
- Perianne Johnson: Runner-up (tie)
- Anthony Pinter: Runner-up (tie)
- Sarah Aguasvivas Manzano: People's choice