The University of Colorado Boulder’s Professionalism badge focuses on hard and soft skills students will need to successfully enter and thrive in the work place. Workshops for the Professionalism badge feature strategies to take initiative in professional interactions, how to present yourself professionally, ways to leverage digital technologies, and ideas for effective career management.
Students receiving a Professionalism Badge will be required to do any two of the following:
- Prepare a LinkedIn profile, industry resume and elevator pitch that present a consistent professional brand for a targeted field or position type.
- Find, contact and meet with three professional contacts to explore fields, positions, or companies of interest. Meet with a career advisor to discuss the contacts made, important information learned and an analysis of how information gained has influenced your ongoing career plans.
- Actively participate in a project, volunteer opportunity, or collaborative effort with the university or community that requires you to work with other team members, manage an element of the project, and communicate effectively to complete a specific task. Effectively describe the experience and highlight skillsets in a bulleted resume listing.
- Choose a position outside of academia you would be interested in pursuing. Analyze three separate postings for that type of position and identify: 1) key skills and experience needed to be marketable for the position, 2) a minimum of two employees at each company to contact to learn more, 3) skills or experience gaps in your application and 4) your plan to acquire any missing experience before going on the job market.
When two of the above steps have been completed, meet with a career advisor to review your prepared materials and confirm your completion of the requirements.
- Attend four professionalism workshops hosted by the Graduate School. (Note: Events or workshops attended during Fall 2019 also count!)
I've completed all of the requirements. Now what?
Fill out the application to get your badge.