NOTE: Please refer to the updated set of Graduate School FAQs, as this page is no longer current.

The Graduate School staff is available to help you through the completion of the semester. Contact us at with your questions and concerns that are not already addressed on this page or on CU Boulder’s coronavirus updates and resources page

This information page is being updated and refreshed as the situation on campus continues to evolve. 


Suspension of all non-essential research activities on campus; additional guidance
Click here for research frequently asked questions and updates by topic.

Graduate research: Faculty advisors are the best resource for graduate and undergraduate researchers who have questions or may need to adjust research-related protocols or operations. The Graduate School and the Research and Innovation Office (RIO) are working on additional guidance regarding any academic and financial impacts related to the research restrictions now in place.

    Academic and Graduation Processes 

    Per campus guidance related to remote instruction, comprehensive, final examination, and thesis defense meetings must be held remotely. The Graduate School recommends Zoom or an equivalent platform be utilized. Use these OIT links as a resource:

    The Graduate School is accepting May graduation paperwork via email. Please work closely with your graduate program assistant and faculty advisor to submit forms appropriately.

    Forms listed above may be signed in the following ways:

    • Adobe pdf signatures (exam forms on our website are already created with signature tags)
    • Docusign signatures (please route and then mail final pdf to the Graduate School)
    • Scanned (if signatures had previously been obtained)
    • If absolutely necessary, the graduate program assistant may collect e-mail correspondence from committee members to certify that they have voted satisfactory on the exam.  Each e-mail must come from the faculty member’s e-mail address (external members excepted) and one document with all e-mails of approval should be sent together as a pdf.

    Professional Development and Writing Support

    For graduate students looking for structure and community, join us for online seminars. Be sure to self-register on Canvas. All programming will continue during Spring Break. Contact Sarah Tynen with any questions.

    Graduate Student Career Services (online)

    Individual advising sessions are available via Zoom, phone or email. Please schedule through Handshake, and wait for your career services advisor to then reach out to arrange details for connecting remotely.


    • Be sure to follow the university’s guidance related to CU sponsored and personal travel and study abroad.
    • Applications for the Graduate School travel grants have been postponed until further notice. 

    International Students

    For information regarding international students related to online classes, registration, or travel, visit International Student and Scholar Services or contact an ISSS advisor with specific questions. Information on COVID-19 related updates may be found in ISSS News.

    Housing and Food

    Information for those living in graduate student housing may be found on the housing site:

    Information that was created for food assistance:

    Mental Health and Wellbeing

    Comprehensive list of support resources for students, faculty and staff. 

    • Counseling and Psychiatric Services (CAPS) will continue to provide ongoing support and services for students, with a few operation changes to ensure the health and well-being of our campus community. CAPS will transition services to be over the phone and online. Please call 303-492-2277 and follow the instructions on the voicemail.  They will be available Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
    • CAPS will continue to provide individual therapy and psychiatric follow-up appointments online based on provider availability. At this time all groups and workshops are cancelled.
    • Please continue to check the website for updates as the situation evolves, or contact the CAPS office at 303-492-2277.

    Emergency Funding

    • The Student Crisis Support Fund was created to provide support for CU Boulder students who are experiencing a crisis that could adversely affect their academic year.
    • Graduate Student Emergency Aid Fund - Intended to help meet the financial needs of Boulder graduate students who encounter an emergency situation resulting in unforeseen expenses during their degree program. Please submit any questions or applications to
    • Medical Expense Assistance Fund - The Student Health Board’s Medical Expense Assistance Fund (MEAF) is designed to financially assist students who are unable to pay incurred medical bills or prescription costs.
    • ISSS Emergency Financial Grant.- For International students, grants vary according to available funds and demonstrated need. 
    • The CU Boulder Student Relief Fund Emergency Grant is designed to assist enrolled students with a financial emergency in the current term that is impacting their ability to stay on track towards graduation.

    Other Information

    A list of health and support resources are available for members of the CU Boulder community experiencing personal impacts due to the novel coronavirus outbreak.

    New Student and Family Programs has set up a call center devoted to helping students, families, staff, faculty with questions that relate to COVID-19 and the impacts of the COVID-19-related changes/decisions: 303.735.1616.