Information on CU Boulder and regional grants and awards for which students may directly apply, as well as information about student employment and loans

CU Boulder and Regional Awards and Grants

Graduate School Awards

  • Cynthia H. Schultz Graduate School Grants: Provides small grants for research at the master's or doctoral level. 
  • Beverly Sears Graduate Student Grant: Provides small grants for research at the master's or doctoral level. 
  • Brenda M. Romero CU Dissertation Award in Music and/or Sound Studies and Social Justice: Provides a $2000 award at the doctoral level. 
  • Graduate School Dissertation Completion Fellowship: Provides one academic semester of full support to aid in dissertation completion.
  • MFA Completion Fellowship: Provides financial support to assist in the process of completing their thesis or final project. 
  • Graduate School Travel Grants: The Graduate School offers partial funding for graduate students to present research findings at meetings or conferences outside Colorado. The Graduate School provides a travel grant of $300 for domestic conferences and $500 for international conferences. There are three application cycles per year for domestic (including Mexico and Canada) and international (excluding Mexico and Canada) travel.
    • NOTE: All applications open at 12:01am MST on the open date and close at 11:59pm MST on the end date. Applications are only open and available during this 48-hour period. 
    • NOTE: As the campus has now suspended all university-funded travel – foreign or domestic, we are postponing our next iteration of the application for Graduate School Travel Grants. If there are any changes, we will keep you posted accordingly. All students and faculty planning research- and education-related travel over the coming months should consult the university’s guidelines and recommendations at:
  • Graduate Student Emergency Aid Fund - Intended to help meet the financial needs of Boulder graduate students who encounter an emergency situation resulting in unforeseen expenses during their degree program. Please submit any questions or applications to
  • Medical Expense Assistance Fund - The Student Health Board’s Medical Expense Assistance Fund (MEAF) is designed to financially assist students who are unable to pay incurred medical bills or prescription costs.

Additional Awards and Grants

Loans and Student Employment

Office of Financial Aid has information regarding loans and work-study.

Federal Financial Aid: Students applying for financial aid should submit the graduate version of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as soon as possible after January 1. You must be enrolled in at least four semester hours to be eligible to receive federal or state financial aid or to be eligible for a deferment on any of your federal loans.

Student Employment: CU Boulder's Student Employment Office posts an average of 600 part-time, on-campus and off-campus jobs for students. These notices are posted on MyCUInfo, bulletin boards outside UMC 165, and in the Student Employment office in Regent 205. Domestic U.S. graduate students may qualify for work-study awards; call the Student Employment Office to find out at 303-492-7349. International students may verify their employment eligibility through International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS). For more information go to the Student Employment Website.

Housing & Dining Services: For information on employment opportunities, visit the Housing and Dining site.

Loans: Additional resources on the web for student borrowers include:


Note: CU Boulder has a responsibility to provide a safe and nondiscriminatory environment. If you disclose having been impacted by sexual misconduct, protected-class discrimination or harassment, intimate partner violence, stalking, or related retaliation, we are required to share that information to the CU Office of Institutional Equity and Compliance (OIEC) for outreach regarding support and reporting options.  You are not required to respond to OIEC. If you are in need of support, here is a list of resources, including confidential assistance: If you have questions before you want to submit this type of information, please contact the confidential Office of Victim Assistance.

Additionally, please note that the university takes disclosures around threat of harm to self or others seriously and when information of this nature is received, it will be shared with the appropriate offices to offer additional support and resources.