Course delivery, minimum requirements, access, and recording troubleshooting.

Refer to the Office of Information Technology website for information on distance delivery technical information.

Why do I need a CU email account?

The university, your instructors, and the Graduate School will communicate with you via your email account. It is essential that you activate your email account in order to receive current announcements about your class(es), course changes, new course offerings, changes in processes, procedures, or policies, news and events. See to set up your email account. 

Students may choose to redirect all university email to a different email account at their discretion. For assistance with this process, please contact the Office of Information Technology (OIT) at 303-735-4357 or

How do I access Desire2Learn (D2L)?

You must register for your course before you can obtain access to Desire2Learn (D2L). If you are a new student, your IdentiKey must be activated prior to accessing D2L. To activate you IdentiKey, go to and click on "Activate your IdentiKey." Please note, if you are a new student, allow up to 24 hours after activating your IdentiKey before trying to register.

Once you have activated your IdentiKey, you will be able to access D2L within 24 hours. Log in to D2L at or

For assistance with login procedures or activating your account, contact Information Technology Services at 303-735-4357 or

How do I order my texts for class?

It is the student's responsibility to order and purchase the required texts and/or software for each of their courses. 

The course descriptions on the course schedule pages list tentative class texts and notes. Please note that this information is subject to change. Call the CU Book Store three weeks prior to classes to confirm the final text(s) and to place your order. The suggested time of three weeks includes the amount of time it should take your shipment to arrive. Payment can be made by company purchase order, personal check, VISA, Mastercard or American Express. 

Contact the CU Book Store.

What if I need to take a semester off from study?

All degree-seeking students who wish to take a semester off must apply for a leave of absence for the fall or spring semesters. Graduate students who do not apply will be withdrawn and must reapply (and pay the confirmation deposit) to the university in order to return to CU Boulder. Learn more about the leave of absence process on the Registrar's Website.

If you are called to military active duty, refer to the Registrar’s Office Procedures for Students Ordered to Active Duty webpage for more information.

Graduate nondegree students may take three consecutive semesters off with no penalty or repercussions. If it has been longer, complete the online enrollment application or download the enrollment registration PDF and fax, mail or deliver it in person to Continuing Education. You will receive an email confirming receipt of your application. If approved, you will receive a student identification number to activate your Identikey and search/enroll in courses via MyCUInfo.

How do I access the campus facilities?

Distance degree and nondegree students taking courses for credit may purchase a BuffOne Card (student ID) and a student fees package, which includes access to the following services:

  • Student Recreation Center
  • Wardenburg Health Center
  • RTD Bus Pass
  • Career Services
  • Distance degree students can receive discounted CU event tickets, including athletics tickets

For immediate access to campus facilities, call the Division of Continuing Education at 303-492-2216 to obtain an "all fees paid" sticker (they will have the most up-to-date rate information). Once you have purchased the sticker, you may get your Buff OneCard from the Buff One office in the Center For Community (C4C) for $25. Be sure to bring your photo ID.

Alternatively, distance degree and nondegree students may wish to use their own photo ID in place of the Buff OneCard. Call Continuing Education at 303-492-2216 to obtain a "no fee paid" sticker to attach to your own photo ID.

How do I access the university computer network and computer labs?

The campus network is administrated by the Office of Information Technology, refer to their website for instructions on how connect to the campus networks. 

You are given free access to Net News and FTP as well as access to other UNIX software if it is needed for your course(s). Contact Information Technology Services (ITS) at 303-735-4357 or for assistance. 

How do I access the CU Boulder library?

There is no charge for student access to the university libraries. Your Buff OneCard or any photo ID will serve as your library card. In order to access materials from the university libraries online, visit the library website and view instructions for remote access.

How do I get a university catalog?

The University of Colorado Boulder catalog is available online only. The university catalog contains important information for graduate degree students, such as the Graduate School rules and policies.

Can I receive career advice?

Career Services provides career exploration, internship and job search, and career counseling, among other resources, to help you attain your personal and professional goals. Start by exploring the options available to graduate students on their website. 

How do I audit a class?

The Audit process for students is managed by Continuing Education. Visit for instructions.

Individuals may not audit library courses.

How do I file a complaint?

Online and Distance Education Student Compliant Resolution

Online and distance education students may file a complaint by following the campus complaint procedure to internally resolve grievances. Students who have exhausted opportunities for resolution and are dissatisfied with their resolution may file a complaint with the Colorado Department of Higher Education. Additionally, students residing outside of Colorado may file a complaint with their state agency. 

Any prospective or enrolled student may request a copy of a campus's accreditation and state approval documents. Complaints relating to the university's institutional quality may be filed with the Higher Learning Commission