The Leeds School of Business PhD Program is a full-time program, intended for those who desire careers in university research and teaching. The program focuses on developing the necessary skills for the design and execution of original, innovative research and for the dissemination of knowledge through teaching and writing.
In any year, there are approximately 40 doctoral students in our program majoring in accounting, finance, information systems, marketing, operations management, organizational behavior, and strategy and entrepreneurship.
The PhD requires at least 30 credit hours of approved graduate coursework and 30 dissertation credit hours. All students are required to successfully complete a comprehensive examination, a dissertation proposal defense and a final dissertation defense. Please see our website for more information about our teaching proficiency and teaching requirements.
- Personal statement of 1–3 pages that explicitly addresses your research interests as well as your career objectives. If you are aware of specific faculty members with whom you would like to conduct research, please list them and explain why you would like to work with them.
- One set of unofficial transcripts from each institution for all higher education you have completed regardless of whether you received a degree. While credits from one institution may appear on the transcript of a second institution, unofficial transcripts must be submitted from each institution, regardless of the length of attendance, and whether or not courses were completed. This includes community colleges, summer sessions, and extension programs. Failure to list and submit transcripts from all institutions previously attended is considered to be a violation of academic ethics and may result in the cancellation of your admission or dismissal from the university. ONLY after you are recommended for admission will you need to provide official transcripts. Instructions for Uploading Unofficial Transcripts to Your Application.
- Three letters of recommendation
- Resume or CV
- The language requirement will only be waived if your native language is English. International applicants should submit official TOEFL or IELTS scores that are less than 2 years old. TOEFL scores should be sent to school code 4841. Please schedule your test early enough to allow time for your official scores to reach us by our application deadline. For more information about English language requirements, please click here.
- ALL applicants must submit official GMAT or GRE scores that are less than 5 years old. Official scores must be sent directly to us by the testing agencies. GRE scores should be sent to school code 4841. GMAT scores should be sent to code 11S-Z2-41. Please schedule your test early enough to allow time for your official scores to reach us by our application deadline.
- Submit a completed online application and pay the application fee.
GRE/GMAT scores: 320/709
TOEFL/IELTS scores: 100/7.0
Leeds School of Business: PhD Program
University of Colorado Boulder
Boulder, CO 80309-0419