Up-to-date tuition information and rates are available on the Bursar's Office website.

International students are considered out-of-state students.

In addition to classroom instruction, your tuition supports faculty, student services, campus operations, and campus administration.

Proof of Funding

In order to satisfy the immigration regulations necessary to obtain, or continue on, an F-1 or J-1 student visa, international students need to demonstrate "proof of English proficiency"  for their studies at CU-Boulder and "proof of funding."

F-1 Proof of Funding Requirements

J-1 Proof of Funding Requirements

Your proof of funding information is used for immigration purposes only; the admissions decision will be made by your department independently of this information. This form does NOT need to be submitted prior to the application deadline.

We cannot issue any immigration documents (the I-20 or DS-2019) until both “proof of English proficiency” and “proof of funding” have been fulfilled.

If you have any questions about this form, or the international aspect of your application, please email the International Admissions Office at  

Sources of Financial Assistance


The University of Colorado Boulder offers fellowship support to entering and continuing regular degree-seeking graduate students on the basis of academic promise or academic success. Students are nominated by their home departments.  Please check with your department to see if you need to complete additional forms to be considered for a fellowship. 

Teaching & Research Assistantships

Many departments provide graduate students with teaching or research assistantships. These appointments provide a salary and tuition waiver, as well as a partial insurance benefit.  To find out more about assistantships opportunities, you must contact the department to which you are applying. You may also find more information about funding on the department’s website. Visit the academic section to search for your department of interest.

Training Grants

Departments may provide students with funding through training grants, providing graduate students the opportunity to work closely and collaboratively with mentors and other graduate students on specific, long-term research projects. Primarily science, engineering, and social science departments offer this type of grant. Students should consult directly with their home department to find out what opportunities are available in this area.

Financial Aid

Financial aid is defined in part as U.S. government assistance for U.S. citizens and permanent residents. If you are neither of those you will not qualify for it. You should check with your own government as to whether they offer financial aid, scholarships or grants to students studying abroad, but you would need to secure that support independently. 


Educational loans from U.S. banks are generally not extendable to non-citizens and non-permanent residents, because they are considered part of financial aid, as they are backed by the U.S. government. These types of educational loans may be available in your country, but you would need to seek out that support independently.

Student Employment

International students can sometimes secure small jobs around campus, but it’s important to note that these types of positions would never be enough to pay for tuition and room and board.  CU-Boulder's Student Employment Office posts an average of 600 part-time, on-campus and off-campus jobs for students on myCUinfo. Many domestic U.S. graduate students who qualify for federal financial aid also qualify for federal work-study awards. Call the Student Employment Office to find out at 303-492-7349 or stop by Regent 205.

International students may verify their employment eligibility and restrictions through International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS).

Additional Funding

Additional funding may be sought from national, international, industrial, or foundation sources. A partial list of such sources is available in our funding section. Other avenues to learn about these opportunities include career counseling offices and directories of funding sources such as the Annual Register of Grant Support and the Grants Register in university libraries.

International Applicants

The main form of funding through CU-Boulder for international graduate students is from the department to which you are applying. Visit their website, or contact them directly with inquiries.

Department Assistantships & Graduate School Fellowships

To find out more about assistantships and fellowship opportunities, you must contact the department to which you are applying. You may also find more information about funding on the department’s website. Visit the academic section to search for your department of interest.

Online Resources

eduPASS (external website)

Print Resources

IIE Books has several print resources for purchase. We recommend Funding For U.S. Study: A Guide for Citizens of Other Nations, which provides current information on grants and fellowships for study abroad.

IIE Books

Institute of International Education
P.O. Box 371
Annapolis Junction, MD 20701-0301
Phone: 1-800-445-0443