This checklist is intended to be used as a supplement to information obtained from the University Catalog and the gradute program, and as an aid to preparing degree plans for master students. The graduate program should be consulted about specific additional requirements.
Pre-Candidacy (Early and mid-way through your degree program)
Graduate School minimum requirements:
- Minimum of 30 credit hours of graduate level work taught by members of the graduate faculty. Thesis plan students must register for 4-6 thesis hours (9 for MFA students).
- A graduate student must maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0 on all coursework taken to earn a degree and in order to maintain good academic standing.
- Any course being applied toward the degree must be taken for a letter grade and must be given a grade of C or better to apply.
- A maximum of 6 credits at the 3000-4000 level may be used toward a master's degree at the discretion of the graduate program.
- For additional detail regarding coursework requirements, refer to the graduate school rules in the University Catalog.
Transfer of credit minimum requirements:
- The transfer of credit limit is 9 credit hours, and 18 for the MFA degree.
- Courses must have been taken at an accredited institution with a grade of B or better.
- Transfer work that is five years old or more at the time of transfer must be evaluated by the major department as to current relevance and applicability to degree requirements.
- Courses may not have been used toward a bachelor's degree, toward another degree of the same level, or from a doctoral degree to a subsequent master's degree. See the back of the form for further transfer of credit rules.
If you are on the written thesis degree track, submit a Master’s Thesis Plan form. (Form is not applicable to creative thesis, project, music thesis project, portfolio, or other culminating activities)
Semester of Degree Award- Non-Written Thesis Students