This information is supplied by the Graduate School at the University of Colorado at Boulder. The links below provide the necessary forms and information to complete the requirements for graduation. Please read the deadline sheet and checklist carefully to ensure fulfillment of requirements. If at any time you have any questions or problems, please contact the Graduate School at (303) 492-8220,, or Regent Administrative Center, room 1B53.

Graduation Deadlines

This includes all the deadlines for the upcoming semesters. Paperwork must be submitted to the Graduate School by the deadlines for the indicated graduation. These deadlines apply regardless of attendance at the commencement ceremony. (Note: if you do not meet the graduation deadline for your final exam, but can complete the exam before the first day of class for the upcoming semester, you will not be required to register for another semester, but your paperwork will be processed for the next scheduled commencement date. Plan ahead carefully, as this means the exam must be done on or before the Friday before classes begin.) International students in F-1 or J-1 status must consult with International Student and Scholar Services (located in the Center for the Community, room S355) in these cases. F-1 and J-1 regulations require enrollment in order to maintain valid F-1 or J-1 status.  You must be advised by an ISSS advisor if you will not have future enrollment.

Graduation Checklist

Please note the items marked with a (>). These are essential to fulfill graduation requirements.

Online Graduation Application 

Students must must apply online to graduate through buff portal on the “apply for graduation” card in order to have the degree awarded. This notifies the Graduate School and your department that you intend to graduate, and it provides necessary information to the Registrar's Office for ordering and shipping diplomas. If you do not complete requirements for the graduation you indicate on the online application, you must apply online to graduate for the new graduation date. You must apply to graduate online whether or not you plan to attend the ceremony.  Detailed instructions for applying to graduate.

Application for Admission to Candidacy  

The courses you and your department agree will be used to fulfill the requirements for your degree program are listed on this form. Three signatures are necessary before submitting this form to the Graduate School where all information will be verified against your records.

Master Examination Report

Master's students who are required to complete a final examination should give this form to your department to send to the Graduate School at least two weeks before the examination. After the committee members have been approved it will be returned to your department so it's available for your exam. After the exam the form, with committee signatures, will be returned to the Graduate School to verify that you passed the exam.

Several units have a coursework only plan for non-thesis master's students.  Non-thesis students in these programs will not submit a final examination form.  This is applicable only to non-thesis students in the following programs: Aerospace Engineering, Anthropology, Asian Languages and Civilizations, Business (Accounting, Business Analytics, Finance, Real Estate, and Supply Chain Management only), Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Computational Linguistics, Analytics, Search and Informatics, Computer Science, Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, English, Electrical Engineering, Environmental Studies, Journalism (JRNL), Journalism Entrepreneurship, Master of the Environment, Materials Science and Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Organizational Leadership, Philosophy, Strategic Communication, and Telecommunications. Contact your department for more information.

Forms for Concurrent Students  

Students who are in a concurrent (bachelors/masters) degree program need two supplemental forms, the concurrent supplement to the candidacy application and the undergraduate certification form. Also, review the important information in the above link.

Note: The Application for Admission to Candidacy and Master Examination Report should either be given to your department's graduate program assistant to send to the Graduate School, or a copy should be given to that individual for your departmental records.