This information is supplied by the Graduate School at the University of Colorado at Boulder. The links below provide the necessary forms and information to complete the requirements for graduation. Please read the deadline sheet and checklist carefully to ensure fulfillment of requirements. If at any time you have any questions or problems, please contact the Graduate School at (303) 492-8220,, or Regent Administrative Center, room 1B53.

Graduation Deadlines

This includes all the deadlines for upcoming semesters. Paperwork must be submitted to the Graduate School by the deadlines for the indicated graduation. These deadlines apply regardless of attendance at the commencement ceremony. (Note: if you do not meet the graduation deadline for your final exam, but can complete the exam before the first day of class for the upcoming semester, you will not be required to register for another semester, but your paperwork will be processed for the next scheduled commencement date. Plan ahead carefully, as this means the exam must be done on or before the Friday before classes begin.) International students in F-1 or J-1 status must consult with International Student and Scholar Services (located in the Center for the Community, room S355) in these cases. F-1 and J-1 regulations require enrollment in order to maintain valid F-1 or J-1 status.  You must be advised by an ISSS advisor if you will not have future enrollment.

Graduation Checklist 

Please note the items marked with a (>). These are essential to fulfill graduation requirements.

Online Graduation Application 

Students must must apply online to graduate through buff portal on the “apply for graduation” card in order to have the degree awarded. This notifies the Graduate School and your department that you intend to graduate, and it provides necessary information to the Registrar's Office for ordering and shipping diplomas. If you do not complete requirements for the graduation you indicate on the online application, you must apply online to graduate for the new graduation date. You must apply to graduate online whether or not you plan to attend the ceremony.  Detailed instructions for applying to graduate

Application for Admission to Candidacy

The courses you and your department agree will be used to fulfill the requirements for your degree program are listed on this form. Three signatures are necessary before submitting this form to the Graduate School where all information will be verified against your records.

Master Examination Report

All students completing a thesis must present a final defense of the thesis to the thesis committee. The form should be given to your department to send to the Graduate School at least two weeks before the defense. After the committee members have been approved it will be returned to your department so it's available for your defense. After the defense the form, with committee signatures, will be returned to the Graduate School to verify that you passed the defense.

Thesis Specifications & Submission Information  

The specifications document includes all the necessary information for formatting your thesis. The Graduate School strongly encourages you to email your document for a pre-check of the format, before submitting electronically. Please email a pdf of your document to gradinfo@colorado.eduThe dissertation must be submitted electronically, by the deadline, to ProQuest/UMI. The Thesis Approval Form (TAF) must be uploaded as a supplememental file with the thesis in order for the submission to be complete. 

Thesis Final Grade Report 

All students completing a thesis plan master's degree will be assigned a grade for thesis hours. Please contact your graduate program assistant to ensure that the final grade report process has been initiated by your department.

Forms for Concurrent Students  

Students who are in a concurrent (bachelors/masters) degree program need two supplemental forms, the concurrent supplement to the candidacy application and the undergraduate certification form. Also, review the important information in the above link.

Note: the Application for Admission to Candidacy and Master Examination Report should be given to your department's graduate program for departmental approval and to send to the Graduate School.